1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm assuming xenForo will have the slickest vbulletin migration script ever seen?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by sross, Aug 15, 2010.

1. jasetaro

jasetaro Well-Known Member

That could be a show stopper for me I'm using vB4 Forum classic on a couple of sites and I'd like to move away from it for various reasons.

2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

vB4's schema is very similar to vB3 for most of the important objects like forums, threads, and posts because vB4 is based on vB3. In that sense it shouldn't be too hard to write an importer based on the vB3 importer. However, vB4 on the whole isn't very consistent between major versions. This creates problems for addon developers and may present similar challenges for a vB4 importer.

I have heard about the existence of an unofficial vB4 -> vB3 downgrade script. That might be an option for you.

3. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

It is possible that by having a vb3 importer only, that could limit the initial number of installations, which would create a more controlled testing environment during beta testing & initial roll out of the product.

I really don't know, but it could be possible.

4. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

Yeah, my host and I were talking about how his Eve Online community gets as many attacks as my old Battle.net community did.

5. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Possible, but desirable?

6. jasetaro

Those inconsistencies are one my issues with vB4, between that and the errors in the last two updates to forum classic, I've about had it with vB.

7. Jeffin

Jeffin Well-Known Member

I'm running on vb4 too. I'm too hoping we have an import script from M&K.

8. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

It's not that there won't be one. I needed one (for 3.7, without the social networking stuff) to convert my board. Obviously supporting imports from various vB versions (or various boards) is important, it just wasn't a priority at the time. I would expect to see further expansion of vB importers sooner rather than later, as most of the ground work is there. Other boards will happen, though the timeline is likely longer simply because they are more of an undertaking at this point.

9. jasetaro

Thanks Mike, I'm sold. :)

10. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

cough Jerry cough.

11. Jerry

Jerry Well-Known Member

Oh yes ....... I'm here ...... ;)

Abomination likes this.
  12. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

Here as in you'll make importers or here as in Im right here in person lol

13. Jerry

Jerry Well-Known Member

Make importers, I don't know. Here in person of course, though either way and at least I can share my knowledge of the best ways to do it; from the technical side of things and process.

jasetaro likes this.
  14. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Still fantastic.

15. jasetaro

Sierra Hotel. :)

16. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Well-Known Member

I know this probably isn't the case, but if the database design and model is nearly complete, could it be shared with a few people interested in developing importers, or is that too big a risk to take with how fluid develop is coming along?