As designed Ignore bug?

TPerry

Affected version
If one has a user on ignore, and they make a new post in an area you are watching, should it REALLY notify you of a new post since you are ignoring that user?

Screen Shot 2023-03-08 at 3.24.57 AM.webp
Screen Shot 2023-03-08 at 3.25.11 AM.webp

I guess what you want is a "block" feature to be added to the system in addition to the "ignore" functionally – they are not the same.

Ignore is what it is, you're ignoring the content of the user, but it's still present somewhere and has access to the user's profile.

If you block somebody, then you can't reach any content or the member profile of that user.

I wouldn't consider it a bug but more of a lack of functionality.

Yeah, the XF Ignore function is really pretty basic. It hides their posts from the Latest Posts widget but threads they post in still show up in What's New (only threads they start are hidden), which is probably why the alert still gets generated. Basically, the Ignore works on anything that is post-based, not thread-based. So, threads they start are hidden because they made the opening post, but threads they post in are not affected save that their posts are hidden.

I guess what you want is a "block" feature to be added to the system in addition to the "ignore" functionally – they are not the same.
No, I would think if I'm ignoring someone, it would NOT alert me to new posts involving them. What's the point of ignore if you get alerted to a new post from someone on your list.
Honestly, the ignore implementation IS weak.....

Can we clarify what you mean by "notify" here? I'm assuming you don't, in fact, get a notification in the alerts menu from the user? But you are seeing it as pictured in your first post?

Can we clarify what you mean by "notify" here? I'm assuming you don't, in fact, get a notification in the alerts menu from the user? But you are seeing it as pictured in your first post?
Basically that there is a new post in that area by highlighting it... I honestly don't remember now if I got an alert or not, as I first filter by alerts, then by going down the main page and finding areas with new posts in it.

Very unlikely to have received an alert as we do stop those from ignored users.

But the issue you describe is really just expected. We don’t have a method of being able to prevent a thread being shown because the last replier is ignored.

Top Bottom