If upgrading from phpBB 3, is it possible to retain old emoticons?

goldframedoor

Sorry if this has been asked before, and if I have posted this in the wrong section, but I'm toying with the idea of upgrading my phpBB 3 based forum to XenForo. However, I was wondering if it is at all possible to upgrade from phpBB 3, AND retain the emoticons used in my phpBB 3 installation? If so, how does one go about it?

It's just that I have seen some forums out and about on the internet that have upgraded from vBulletin to xenForo, but retained the old emoticons.

Must I manually re-install them into my upgraded forum once the upgrade has completed, or is there a way of retaining the emoticons during the upgrade?

Thanks! :)

So, does that mean, that after the upgrade, I just need to go to the emoticons settings in the admin cp and point it to my old emoticons directory, then all of the old emoticons will appear in the posts just like before the upgrade, or must I re-add all of the old emoticons manually after the upgrade is complete?

I would recommend uploading the images to the new XenForo smilies directory and then defining them in the ACP.
Thanks for the recommendation, but would the theory of go to the emoticons settings in the admin cp and point it to my old emoticons directory, then all of the old emoticons will appear in the posts just like before the upgrade even work at all?

Yes.

Smilies in posts don't use the image path, they use code such as :) :D, etc. which is then parsed and converted to the image.
Thanks, as I would have found it a pain in the bum otherwise to have to manually re-add the codes for all of my emoticons. :( (I have about at least 50 on my current phpBB installation!!)

Would Xenforo be even able to cope with such a large amount of emoticons in the list? :eek:

Top Bottom