Implemented If Blogs will come later: A tool to migrate existing vBlog entries into a designated forum?

Tigratrus

Frankly, I wish to GOD we had never introduced Blogs on our site at ALL. The way it's implemented, all it's done is fragment the community interaction. I'd really be quite happy to have all existing Blogs moved into a designated "Project Blog" forum, with one thread per ex-vBlog and call it good.

Actually I'd jump up and down and sing alleluia. Or... Maybe "Ding dong the witch is dead"? :P

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Not custom made for us per se, I think it was one of the publicly available unofficial vB importers that had a module that allowed conversion of vB blogs to XF threads. Back when we converted there was the official (lacking) importer and one or two unofficial importers which also imported some of the stuff that the official importer didn't (or imported it differently).

Ok, clear. If there would be no other solution (because I don't know if upgrading my vB3.8 board to vB5 first and then migrate to XF2 -to save the vBlogs as threads) has any negative consequences) I would choose the path you describe. But obviously I would prefer an officially supported solution, so I am really pleased to read what Kier writes:

I’ll have to revisit vb3 blogs to see if they can easily be added to the importer system. I’ve been aiming for an import of all content that can possibly be meaningfully translated into XF data, so blogs are a good candidate.

This would be great, thank you for considering this (y). I hope it is doable.

For a long time (for several reasons) I held back migration my vB platform to Xenforo. And the omission of Blog functionality in Xenforo 1 was one of these reasons. I am now at a stage where I need to simply bite the bullet and migrate straight to Xenforo 2. By now... the countless pros of migrating vB 3.8 to the new XF 2 outweigh the con of loosing our Blog functionality. But if Xenforo could offer us a way to save the contents of these blogs inside threads, then the contents are at least still accessible (publicly/visibly) and do not get permanently lost. This would definitely be a great solution for the situation I (and I assume more people) am in.

Last edited:
Ok, clear. If there would be no other solution (because I don't know if upgrading my vB3.8 board to vB5 first and then migrate to XF2 -to save the vBlogs as threads) has any negative consequences) I would choose the path you describe. But obviously I would prefer an officially supported solution, so I am really pleased to read what Kier writes:

This would be great, thank you for considering this (y). I hope it is doable.

For a long time (for several reasons) I held back migration my vB platform to Xenforo. And the omission of Blog functionality in Xenforo 1 was one of these reasons. I am now at a stage where I need to simply bite the bullet and migrate straight to Xenforo 2. By now... the countless pros of migrating vB 3.8 to the new XF 2 outweigh the con of loosing our Blog functionality. But if Xenforo could offer us a way to save the contents of these blogs inside threads, then the contents are at least still accessible (publicly/visibly) and do not get permanently lost. This would definitely be a great solution for the situation I (and I assume more people) am in.

You don't need to lose the blog functionality unless you want to. There should be at least one or two blog addons for XF still around and allowing you to import vB blogs so that you can keep using them as in vB.

You don't need to lose the blog functionality unless you want to. There should be at least one or two blog addons for XF still around and allowing you to import vB blogs so that you can keep using them as in vB.
None of the current blog solutions for XF are actually blogging solutions. There used to be a decent one but it has been unmaintained for years.

I have two importers for XF1 that relate to vbulletin blogs:
  1. vbulletin blogs to Article Management System importer
  2. XF Threads to User Blog System importer.
None of the current blog solutions for XF are actually blogging solutions. There used to be a decent one but it has been unmaintained for years.
Huh?
https://theadminzone.com/blogs/
Best blog solution ever. But its a private addon.

Kier mentioned this:

I’ll have to revisit vb3 blogs to see if they can easily be added to the importer system. I’ve been aiming for an import of all content that can possibly be meaningfully translated into XF data, so blogs are a good candidate.

The recent announcement for XF 2.0.1. mentions this as the first point in the list:

Some of the changes include:
  • Many importer-related improvements and bug fixes.

And I can mention that XF 2.0.1. now includes importer functionality that makes it possible to import vBulletin 3.8 Blog content into XenForo 2. A Blog article will be imported as the first posting in a thread and Blog comments will be imported as posts(replies) to that thread. Great!

(I do not know if this also applies to the vBulletin 3.6 and vBulletin 3.7 importers)

Even if Xenforo does not offer a Blog product, it is now at least possible to save our vBulletin 3.x Blog content and make it (publically) accessible/viewable/searchable after migration to XenForo2. So we only loose the Blog functionality, but at least not our Blog content anymore.

Great.

'Buckle your seatbelt, Dorothy, 'cause Kansas is going bye-bye.' I was 17 years on vBulletin. The last 8 years of that I was running vBulletin 3.8. Time to step into a new world :cool:.

The tools are there now, and I’ll be turning my attention to finishing the IPB importers soon :)

Looks like the IPB importers went down in priority since your last update in december. Still, is there any progress on them? Will the IPB importers be part of 2.1 or can we expect them only after 2.1?

Top Bottom