Idle Chatter | A General Discussion Community

As mentioned in the opening post, my site is a closed forum.

Sorry, I did read that it was invite only, but didn't interpret that to mean closed. So why let visitors see anything, let alone allow them to see something, then pull the rug? Just seems counterintuitive to a closed community.

Not a criticism BTW, just idle curiosity. :)

So why let visitors see anything, let alone allow them to see something, then pull the rug? Just seems counterintuitive to a closed community.

Not a criticism BTW, just idle curiosity.
Not everyone who is invited knows what a forum is or will want to join without having an understanding of the content. I have areas that are only available to certain usergroups but this way I can let potential members view the majority of the site while respecting the privacy of those already registered.

I personally know the majority of my members in real-life, our site is a hub for interactions away from social media and in a safe online environment. I'm not interested in post counts or the amount of members, fighting spam or having anyone from forum "promotion" sites posting the same rubbish that's on a dozen other sites just to have content (people wonder why forums are supposedly dying...there's your answer but that's a different debate for a different thread). I've had open forums in the past and none have been as enjoyable as this one.

There may be a better way of doing things, I'm not very tech savvy, but this works for me and my members (and potential members) and that's what matters at the end of the day.

I always liked the look, layout and feel of your forum. It just gets better and better.
Thank you. Some like it, some don't.

It has been a digital playground where some ideas have worked, others haven't and a lack of skills have limited me at times but I do believe you should try make your site look different and it is always fun trying to do that.

I think I'm done modifying things now and most updates will just be tweaking little things here and there.

Thank you. Some like it, some don't.

It has been a digital playground where some ideas have worked, others haven't and a lack of skills have limited me at times but I do believe you should try make your site look different and it is always fun trying to do that.

I think I'm done modifying things now and most updates will just be tweaking little things here and there.

I think it looks great. It shows that you’re able to think outside the box. I wish I had the skills to edit my forum the way I want. The possibilities could be endless. I also wish I had the imagination. I remember your forum from thadminzone.com. I first saw it like two or three years ago. I was impressed instantly.

The look of your site is awesome!
Can you reveal how much you spent for this? I want to develop plugins, but I don't know how much developers charge per hour.

The look of your site is awesome!
Thank you.

Can you reveal how much you spent for this? I want to develop plugins, but I don't know how much developers charge per hour.
The layout is based on the Nova theme by @Russ (PixelExit) which I've modified myself. I've no idea what I've spent on add-ons, a lot I've purchased and some have been donated by some lovely developers (they know who they are :)) - I've never paid for any custom add-ons or design work so can't really comment on prices, you'd maybe get an answer in this forum

Some more small updates...

Tidied up the layout of our media library and made the XFMG: Attachment Mirroring Album addon live and available to all.

gallery_update.png

Replaced my tabbed widget on my homepage - previously I was using Recent Posts by Siropu but I've switched the widget over to DragonByteTech Info Panels and styled the Latest Post widget to look like the other post/thread widgets on my site - and just like the other widgets, it updates automatically every 15 seconds too.

homepage_widget.png

I've made my social group forums look like my customized thread list layout.

social_group_forums.png

Fixed some bugs in the Member Stories archive within the User Panel, it now looks and functions similarly to the member profile tab

stories_archive.png

And, I've tidied up the content badges page layout on member profiles

content_badges_update.png

There are other little bits and pieces around the site that I've refreshed and tidied up but nothing really worth mentioning here...

Also started working on my IMS feature which should hopefully launch in the next month or so.

Some more small updates...

Tidied up the layout of our media library and made the XFMG: Attachment Mirroring Album addon live and available to all.

View attachment 287916

Replaced my tabbed widget on my homepage - previously I was using Recent Posts by Siropu but I've switched the widget over to DragonByteTech Info Panels and styled the Latest Post widget to look like the other post/thread widgets on my site - and just like the other widgets, it updates automatically every 15 seconds too.

View attachment 287917

I've made my social group forums look like my customized thread list layout.

View attachment 287918

Fixed some bugs in the Member Stories archive within the User Panel, it now looks and functions similarly to the member profile tab

View attachment 287920

And, I've tidied up the content badges page layout on member profiles

View attachment 287919

There are other little bits and pieces around the site that I've refreshed and tidied up but nothing really worth mentioning here...

Also started working on my IMS feature which should hopefully launch in the next month or so.
Amazing Gemma! You really do have an eye for style.

Some wee updates took place in July, mainly to make things easier for my members to find content....and some just 'cause I like tinkering

Chatting with one of my members I realised that the filtering system wasn't being used mainly because it wasn't very accessible or visible :oops: so I've added some widgets to various parts of the site - articles, blogs, recipes (showcase), and also in the TV, Movies, Music and Video Games forums - I just need to try figure out how to create a filter widget for general forums....my attempts have failed miserably so far :poop:

articles_widget.webp blog_widget.webp recipes_widget(1).webp tv_filters.webp movie_filters.webp music_filters.webp game_filters.webp

I've also changed up my Latest Activity page and made it the site landing page...makes more sense as it is one of the first pages that members check when they sign in

latest_activity.webp

I've added wee bits to my latest posts/threads widget - tried to show the majority of the changes via some poor Photoshop work - it has come a long way from the default look...

modified.webp unmodified.webp

And finally, I've tried to get people to watch/subscribe to threads by simply adding a "watch" button to the editor, since adding it more threads have been subscribed to

button.webp watchers.webp

There have probably been more changes....I lose track sometimes :X3:

You've certainly put a lot of work in to your site @Gemma - I hope you get enjoyment from it, and your members appreciate it. :)
I have very little computer knowledge so this pushes me to my limits whilst learning but I do have fun :)

Ive always said it that your forum is one of my favorite looking ones. You really do great work.

Thank you!

I like to experiment! Some ideas work, some don't and I'll admit my layout isn't for everyone but I'd rather try to create something different. Nearly every website I see these days looks similar in terms of theme and even the members.

Last edited:
I have very little computer knowledge so this pushes me to my limits whilst learning but I do have fun :)

Thank you!

I like to experiment! Some ideas work, some don't and I'll admit my layout isn't for everyone but I'd rather try to create something different. Nearly every website I see these days looks similar in terms of theme and even the members.
its definitely different and it looks great.

A wee collection of updates we've introduced in the last month or so...

Member Profiles
Finally got around to styling the profile post comments to look more like our thread post comments and also did a small reworking of the profile header and tidied the feedback tab

profile_post_comments.png comments.png profile_header.png classifieds_m.png

I've reverted back to the thread list layout instead of using the addon by Joyfreak as my members prefer the more traditional look.

I'm still using the Joyfreak addon to display unread posts on the What's New page and I've tidied up the latest activity page too

thread_list.png new_posts.png latest_activity.png

Also made a minor change to our "popular threads" widget to highlight the amount of posts a user has made in a thread and latest threads/posts widget

widget.png widget_tp2.webp

Last edited:
Top Bottom