I want to start a new community forum

I guess WordPress is enough to collect responses. and you can add a plugin to receive questions. Then you add more content as per these questions.

I am worry about the forums future also. So,Wordpress is a good alternative for this.

I guess WordPress is enough to collect responses. and you can add a plugin to receive questions. Then you add more content as per these questions.

I am worry about the forums future also. So,Wordpress is a good alternative for this.
I want to build a community. I'm not sure these plugins offers that.

I don't think the future of forums is something to worry about.

I was thinking making it so you can only register with a work email address, so no gmail/hotmail and all those free email services to stop spam and keep the community actually a forum with webmasters on it.
Either that, or have us send a message with our XF user ID (or some other means to verify identity) so the accounts can be manually verified. I do use a "work" email address but in some situations, I prefer to keep the "noise" of a forum's notifications in a more general mailbox. I also have some of the really important email go to Gmail, in case I ever have a domain issue. I agree that vetting new members would help keep the forum more on topic and less prone to "noise."

Either that, or have us send a message with our XF user ID (or some other means to verify identity) so the accounts can be manually verified. I do use a "work" email address but in some situations, I prefer to keep the "noise" of a forum's notifications in a more general mailbox. I also have some of the really important email go to Gmail, in case I ever have a domain issue. I agree that vetting new members would help keep the forum more on topic and less prone to "noise."
I had another idea, to upload a html document to your root domain name and after manually approving the account, the document can safely be deleted. So there’ll be another field on the registration page where you can add your website URL.

Hey JoyFreak,

I have PM'd you, perhaps we could work out some partnership. Whatever path you may choose, I'll support your decision and join your new venture.

Hey JoyFreak,

I have PM'd you, perhaps we could work out some partnership. Whatever path you may choose, I'll support your decision and join your new venture.
Hi,

I’m not sure it’s the best time to be talking about any kind of partnership as the site is not even up yet. I’m not particularly keen on partnerships neither, but if anything changes I’ll let you know.

I think the forum middle ground is a path well covered but in my opinion there are specifics (like SEO as you mentioned) and also the basics and early setup aspects of webservers/forums (not necessarily XF exclusively) that are not so documented/discussed

I remember when i started out and felt lost at times and wondered if a forum that also covers the basics would be a good draw to newer forum admins who would join and hang around with a view to learning and developing as they continue the forum admin path

All too often questions are answered in basic terms that may seem obvious to experienced admins but to users a bit more fresh faced its not always easy to understand, you can see it here on XF all to often where a basic answer is not an answer with minimal or no explanation and i often think whats the point of taking the time to reply if your answer is not understood or actionable for the OP

XF is great software with a great community but its all (understandably) about XF but theres so much more to it that isnt documented so well
I think a good approach for a new forum could be to have a dedicated section/sub forum aimed at basics/initial setup, you could then target users of the various forum softwares ??

I for one know that i would be happy to give back to newer users that are taking the path we have already walked

I think the forum middle ground is a path well covered but in my opinion there are specifics (like SEO as you mentioned) and also the basics and early setup aspects of webservers/forums (not necessarily XF exclusively) that are not so documented/discussed

I remember when i started out and felt lost at times and wondered if a forum that also covers the basics would be a good draw to newer forum admins who would join and hang around with a view to learning and developing as they continue the forum admin path

All too often questions are answered in basic terms that may seem obvious to experienced admins but to users a bit more fresh faced its not always easy to understand, you can see it here on XF all to often where a basic answer is not an answer with minimal or no explanation and i often think whats the point of taking the time to reply if your answer is not understood or actionable for the OP

XF is great software with a great community but its all (understandably) about XF but theres so much more to it that isnt documented so well
I think a good approach for a new forum could be to have a dedicated section/sub forum aimed at basics/initial setup, you could then target users of the various forum softwares ??

I for one know that i would be happy to give back to newer users that are taking the path we have already walked
That’s a fantastic idea and I have plans to release so much info for start ups especially from my own experience and share every possible way to really push your community to success. However, the admin site/forum won’t just be specifically for forums/communities but any web admin who wishes to gain info on anything related to domains, hosting and seo. I’ll try my best to provide advice from my experience but also would be great to have experienced members also contribute their success stories tips and strategies.

I’ll be working on this in a week and will also look at recruiting some moderators to help around.

The site blog/wordpress portion of the site is set up and complete. I’m now working on the forums portion, this shouldn’t take as long I hope but there’s certainly no rush.

I would like to hear people’s thoughts on what they’d like to see on this new admin community? It would really help me build it based off any suggestions so feel free to give your thoughts. What would you like to see that’s not seen on other admin communities?

Hi everyone,

I feel that I finally have the time to pursue this.

I currently started a health and wellness website (Wordpress) and was planning to add a forum portion to it. But I don't know how well that will do with a community forum, I was going to use it for asking health and wellness related questions and answering it.

Though I have already purchased a domain for the admin site and wondered if people still feel the same about a new admin community? I see there are a few new admin forums popping up and feel like it's a slightly oversaturated market at the moment.

What do you all think?
I'm curious and want to see it.

Health site. I have one too (in my local language) but struggle.
Add a forum portion to it sounds good.
I didn’t end up adding a forum to it. I’m not sure how well it’ll do for a health and wellness site but I think, not good.

I was getting 20k+ in the first month when I was actively posting articles everyday. My time has gone into my new admin site but will probably resume when things settle. Happy to share a link to our website to give you an idea if you think that may help, just DM me.

I didn’t end up adding a forum to it. I’m not sure how well it’ll do for a health and wellness site but I think, not good.

I was getting 20k+ in the first month when I was actively posting articles everyday. My time has gone into my new admin site but will probably resume when things settle. Happy to share a link to our website to give you an idea if you think that may help, just DM me.
It's huge compared to mine.

Top Bottom