I want to make the jump but...

Martyjp

I just cant justify it!

The forum looks great, first time in ages I have looked at a forum and thought "ooo thats nice". Yeah its a bit pricey for my needs but that doesnt bother me. The names of the staff and people posting here have given me confidence that this product will have a long and healthy life. As for brand loyalty, been a vB licence owner for 9 years but vB for me died the day I found out Kier had left :( (and then it resurrected as an evil zombie trying to eat my wallet!)

For the first time in ages I have a serious "upgrade forum itch" that I know a good dose of XenForo will fix.

But the site I run is small, at most 20 people visiting a day, on average about 1 post a day. Its a guild website for a world of warcraft guild and couple of add ons are fairly essential. First is the item linking, which is a fairly simple addon, probably with a bit of fiddling I could get that to work maybe. Then there is the application form, which posts a new thread in a forum for people to comment on, probably a bit out of my ability to do. Then there is vbadvanced for front page, i guess wordpress could be used for that. Main problem would be bridge to eqdkp plus, but then again how essential is it to share logins.

Damn, think i talked myself into buying a licence :D

Once you see the product maturing and more add-ons and other resources posted I think you'll be even more tempted to make the switch. The styling system is really great and I'm very happy with it. With additional improvements in the pipeline for the styling system it'll only become better and better with each update of this excellent product.

Maybe it might not be for you now but I'm betting it will as times passes. Confidence in the developers is what also brought me here you simply can't buy that type of feeling.

I just cant justify it!

The forum looks great, first time in ages I have looked at a forum and thought "ooo thats nice". Yeah its a bit pricey for my needs but that doesnt bother me. The names of the staff and people posting here have given me confidence that this product will have a long and healthy life. As for brand loyalty, been a vB licence owner for 9 years but vB for me died the day I found out Kier had left :( (and then it resurrected as an evil zombie trying to eat my wallet!)

For the first time in ages I have a serious "upgrade forum itch" that I know a good dose of XenForo will fix.

But the site I run is small, at most 20 people visiting a day, on average about 1 post a day. Its a guild website for a world of warcraft guild and couple of add ons are fairly essential. First is the item linking, which is a fairly simple addon, probably with a bit of fiddling I could get that to work maybe. Then there is the application form, which posts a new thread in a forum for people to comment on, probably a bit out of my ability to do. Then there is vbadvanced for front page, i guess wordpress could be used for that. Main problem would be bridge to eqdkp plus, but then again how essential is it to share logins.

Damn, think i talked myself into buying a licence :D

Actually was in a similar frame of mind, no don't use vB, and was happy enough with our existing software. I had simply grown bored with forums, was losing members to facebook (boo, hiss) at a rapid rate, and simply couldn't be bothered putting the loving into a general chat forum that they need. I was happy enough to work on my own php project and forget the forum world completely. Then we had a "let's get the band back together moment". We discovered Xen, we got our original site url back, and another of the Admins suddenly decided he didn't want things to dwindle and die. I still have all the email addresses of our core members and will be sending out a "we have a brand new combine harvester and you can have the key" when we go live in a few weeks time.

Oh and shoot those zombies in the head.

If you dont need it don't buy it.

The forum software isn't going to magically transform your small community, into a booming Warcraft site visited by the masses.

Marty, I was in a similar situation where I couldn't necessarily justify doing it by myself for my current communities at this point. But, what I did was go into a partnership and we bought a license during the "presale" and split the cost. Then, we are working as Co-Admins and getting things ready for a release pretty soon :)

So, you may want to try it as a partner and get your feet wet with xenForo. But, I'm going to warn you, you're going to love it! :D

I'm already starting to make plans on switching the majority of my vB licenses (have about 7 if I recall correctly) over to new communities powered by xenForo ;)

Marty, I was in a similar situation where I couldn't necessarily justify doing it by myself for my current communities at this point. But, what I did was go into a partnership and we bought a license during the "presale" and split the cost. Then, we are working as Co-Admins and getting things ready for a release pretty soon :)

So, you may want to try it as a partner and get your feet wet with xenForo. But, I'm going to warn you, you're going to love it! :D

I'm already starting to make plans on switching the majority of my vB licenses (have about 7 if I recall correctly) over to new communities powered by xenForo ;)
I am very pleasantly surprised! :eek:

I guess it would be good to jump on this moment since your board is small new changes might bring more activity too or you can wait till Gold release which will ofcourse have some new features too bug fixed . I have been Vb license owner for past 6yrs since vb4.x was released my interest was slowly dying over vbulletin and now i got new place to hang out just waiting till Gold Release.

If you dont need it don't buy it.

The forum software isn't going to magically transform your small community, into a booming Warcraft site visited by the masses.

I think you might be surprised. For a lot of sites out there it's either go with something fresh and modern or simply shut the doors and give Facebook the win. Think we have even lost an Admin to the evil that is facebook :(

Top Bottom