1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want a forum this fast

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JamesBrown, Jun 19, 2012.

1. JamesBrown

JamesBrown Well-Known Member

Marcus and surfsup like this.
  2. 0xym0r0n

0xym0r0n Well-Known Member

O_O well it is pretty fast but from what I see there's very little use of images. I'm not an expert but by simply using a stylesheet and preloading everything else in another file, your site speed will be affected. I think visually I see only 2 images on the site (there may be more), so in a sense it doesn't have much to load other than the data from the databases. I can make a simple CMS that'd load a bunch of article titles that fast if I only had one image (and good server lol). Probably not a forum though v_v
  3. x3sphere

x3sphere Active Member

My site seems to load just as fast. So does XenForo.com. Both are at a disadvantage too because there's way more style elements and images being downloaded.
    0xym0r0n likes this.
  4. Hardcore

Hardcore Active Member

I have one already. It's called XenForo 1.1.3. ;)
  5. DBA

DBA Well-Known Member

Like 0xym0r0n said, keep your request/images/resources to a minimum. Along with setting up caching.

If you take a look at their site you'll see that they only have 8 requests. 5 of those are images.

My forumhome fully loaded has 18 requests, 11 being images.
  6. 0xym0r0n

Yeah I like all my gaudy images and my users do too. If they want simple they'll visit the mobile site :) Which would probably load this fast on any PC and browser lol

I have to set up my caching... Webpagetest tells me it's no bueno.
  7. The Dark Wizard

The Dark Wizard Well-Known Member

Setup a CDN for your images and proper caching.

Look at how fast my site is with all the stuff we use: http://www.rpdom.com
    surfsup likes this.
  8. 0xym0r0n

*envious* Will do. It's actually on my list of to do after i do this upgrade at lunch :)
  9. DBA

DBA Well-Known Member

Check your min-width, you may want to increase it slightly as you have a couple things overlapping.
  10. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member

Not bad, Google PageSpeed 100 out of 100.
  11. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

You can check my site as well for how quick it loads (click image in my signature)

This is my index page generation time:
    Timing: 0.0963 seconds
  12. duderuud

duderuud Active Member

13. ARSamo

ARSamo Member

14. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

I find CloudFlare slowed things done for us. Connection issues were just that.... issues we didn't need to deal with.

Keep in mind also that all these "fast sites" also do not have any plug-ins, 3rd party products, or add-ons.
  15. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

My forum is loaded with off site resources (Google,FB, Several plugins calling for outside content, etc etc).. Tons of png images no cache and seemed pretty comparable to the eye at least.
  16. Arkshine

Arkshine Active Member

Same, I gave up on it, even though CloudFlare offers nice service, sexy panel, and such, but the result, at least for my forum, is [really] worse than before (Time to wait increased as hell).
    Such a shame, but the site has some good potential depending your server configuration. I like their Rocket Loader (even though it doesn't work well for Xenforo forum), and will miss their security service.
  17. DBA

DBA Well-Known Member

Uhh, not really.

18. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

19. DBA

DBA Well-Known Member

Hmm, it's usually the other way.
  20. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

DBA likes this.