I noticed a strange drop in traffic across many forums.

Just for fun, go to google and search your site with this query: site: edcforums.com

I get only about 40k of results. You appear to have about 80k of threads. This is not good. But please, be stubborn and don't listen to the advise that has been given to you.

Just for fun, go to google and search your site with this query: site: edcforums.com

I get only about 40k of results. You appear to have about 80k of threads. This is not good. But please, be stubborn and don't listen to the advise that has been given to you.
I don't think he's being stubborn, but rather doesn't understand.

I am actually asking the same things in multiple places and each place the information I get is contradictory. The next thing is I didn't have the plug in installed before so I am not getting information that I can use from it at this time.

While the information that I can get might not be accurate it seems to match up fairly close to what actually happened compared to what I see internally. I cannot use data from plug in tools from other forums so I can only use the information I can get to. The forums that took a drop are indeed getting fewer people also.

I cannot follow most of the advise since.

1. The Google An was not installed before this happened.
2. I don't use the Facebook, and Twitter integration. I used Facebook integration for about a day a couple of years ago and that did nothing but bring the people I didn't want. Checking that will not help.
3. I have not changed anything on the forum in a long time.
4. Some of the advice I don't think I can follow because I never did anything deliberately SEO related.
5. I did the DNS and other checks people have said the try and they came up OK.
6. I cannot check with the hosting company until they open on Monday.
7. While the things I have been looking at are flawed there is a close relationship to what I am seeing with the stats inside of Xenforo. No one has suggested any tools to use to check other forums that I know are also down in activity.

It is not that I am not listening, I am missing what else to check since the tools suggested will not go back to when this happened.

One thing that is showing is the number of visitors increased for the first time in awhile increased today and the day still has three hours left in it. Sunday should not beat Thursday but it is.

Last edited:

I think it's different based on wherever you are. I get 112k for his site from Japan. (Why? No idea.)

edc_google.webp

Compared to:

edc_stats.webp

I found something in common with all the forums that I see a traffic drop on. Maybe this is not accurate but all the forums that I have seen a large drop in activity on seemed to have also had a large drop in backlinks at the same time.. That seems like a big coincident that they would have lost them all at the same time.

backlinks.webp

Last edited:
Your rankings are almost the same over the past few months.
I have a graphic for you.
Your domain is orange and mine is black.

upload_2014-3-24_8-27-46.webp

We have the same number of rankings. However, I have make it only in a few months and you needed almost a year.
So XenForo is not bad for SEO and rankings but you need even make some changes to it to be successful.
Links is only one part of the secret.

Your rankings are almost the same over the past few months.
I have a graphic for you.
Your domain is orange and mine is black.

View attachment 70225

We have the same number of rankings. However, I have make it only in a few months and you needed almost a year.
So XenForo is not bad for SEO and rankings but you need even make some changes to it to be successful.
Links is only one part of the secret.

I never did anything, I don't know where the links were coming from. This forum is 8 years old.

I wasn't doing anything to grow the forum, just not understanding the recent shrinkage.

Can you remember what has changed in aug 2013? Changed hosts? Enabled/disabled something on the forums? The only thing I could find was this:
http://edcforums.com/threads/we-are-having-a-little-bit-of-a-bump-on-the-server.112352/

What has happened then?

If I remember right we were getting time outs and the host added memory. I could be wrong on this as.

I was on the current host before adding Xenforo. I was on vB with this host. The old host was bought out by the current one.

Now that I have Google An up and running I am seeing something I didn't expect. When looking at real time Google is never on top. It is things like and iphone forum, or feedly.com and things like that. Only one visitor from Google.

I bet that is the difference.

I watched it for a awhile. Right now all the Top Referrals are other forums that I have never visited. Google only was on the list for a moment with 1 visitor.

Last edited:
Did you get Google Webmaster Tools set up?

I think someone suggested it earlier.

It will let you know if Google is having difficulty in crawling your site.

Did you get Google Webmaster Tools set up?

I think someone suggested it earlier.

It will let you know if Google is having difficulty in crawling your site.

I cannot use any of the information that I am getting to compare before it was installed. I don't see anything saying it is having trouble crawling. I am still convinced it was a change in google that happened.

I still keep seeing forums that I don't visit as the Top Referrals. Right now one from Google but that will vanish soon. It happens to be Google RU that is showing on the referral.

I still don't really know for sure what is different now than before.

Last edited:
When did you switch from vbulletin to xenforo then?

It looks like the move from vB4 to Xenforo was April 2012.

One massive mistake I made was moving from SMF to vB4. I went off the advertising and reputation of vB when I made the move. The members liked SMF better than vB4. I lost some of my favorite members moving to vB4 from SMF, I got some of them back when I moved to XenForo. I hired a lot of people and spent a bunch of money trying to get vB4 right and gave up to start looking for an alternative and found XenForo.

Last edited:
Hi Jon

Someone said this earlier and Chris repeated this. I think you do not know the difference between Google Webmaster Tools and Google Analytics.

It seems you have already installed Google Analytics, that will tell you how many actual visitors you are getting.

But, what you need to do immediately is setup Google Webmaster Tools --> https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/home?hl=en

This is a google service which crawls your site and tells you if there are any errors on your website. So if you are having memory problems on the server, or 404 issues, or dns issues etc, Google Webmaster Tools will tell you that Google is unable to reach which pages and their URLs. This way you will be able to identify if there are any errors on your website or server.

So unless, you have not done it already please go to Google Webmaster Tools --> https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/home?hl=en and look at the errors for your website.

Top Bottom