Best suited as a Wordpress replacement?

• Featured Threads by Brogan

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • XenPorta 2 by Jaxel

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters

imthebest

Hi,

I'm about to launch a new project and I need a portal to work as a homepage. On this portal I should be able to write articles and receive comments. I should also be able to categorize these articles within tags or categories.

I'm not sure which add-on would work best for me: Featured Threads or XenPorta2. Both have awesome reviews and both have well talented programmers behind them: @Brogan and @Jaxel respectively.

There is also notable price difference between them being FT the most expensive ($60) vs XP2 ($40). Speaking about maturity, FT has been around for 1+ year while XP2 has just been released a few weeks ago, however it is receiving lots of updates from @Jaxel.

What will work best for my requirements guys?

Thanks,
Super120

But since Brogan's add-on doesn't create a new content type but sticks with threads then I might combine the power of XenTag with his add-on in order to be able to assign tags to those featured threads...

lol for all the good that poll is doing you..
Capture_183 Jan. 06 10.32 PM.webp
Fwiw Brogans Portal is a SEO machine not really sure if its a "WordPress replacement" but it is solid and comes with some of the best support on XF... I won't comment on XP2 except that i have licenses for both.

Okay brogan has shocked me :p I was expecting this guys requirements to have been widget heavy if he sent someone that way. But I think I figured it out anyways lol.

The biggest difference between the two for me is that XP has a widget framework and FT does not. XP2 specifically expands to placing widgets throughout xenforo and is unrivaled as a single solution. However this comes from someone who doesn't give a crap about the article system. Which is a major thing for XP and where FT competes with it along with other solutions.

Ft + Widget Framework is extremly powerful. Have that in place and really appreciate it. but as said, it does not fulfill all your requirements. Now it's up to you to decide what values more: a) features or b) excellent support and efficient code.

Now it's up to you to decide what values more: a) features or b) excellent support and efficient code.

No one likes Jaxel for support. Its worth noting that Jaxel has responded to issues with XP2 within minutes and provided fixes within minutes on several occasions recently. Not to mention going out of his way to support things that just were not necessary. Along with the more realistic time spans of support and fixes as well. As he said, his goal is to be less "German" this year.

Widget Framework Renderers for FT would make the add-on so much more useful.
In your opinion. IMO they aren't needed with already having a portal page and Featured Threads blocks that appear on the forum index, forum view, thread view etc.

But since Brogan's add-on doesn't create a new content type but sticks with threads then I might combine the power of XenTag with his add-on in order to be able to assign tags to those featured threads...
It does include content blocks above and below the Featured threads/slider, so can easily include extra text, articles etc. though they need to be html as these do not have a rich text editor.

This is what I do on my home page is to have a welcom blurb at the top, then the FT/slider and then a final bit of blurb. This works will if you are not frequently changing the above/below content.

To stop you wasting any more time, I won't sell you a license so your only option is to use xen porta 2.

To stop you wasting any more time, I won't sell you a license so your only option is to use xen porta 2.

That's an interesting stance but I guess there's some background stuff I'm not aware off.

Out of interest, I assume licenses are transferable? Would you be able to actually stop someone buying a license and transferring it to whoever they want to?

That's an interesting stance but I guess there's some background stuff I'm not aware off.

Out of interest, I assume licenses are transferable? Would you be able to actually stop someone buying a license and transferring it to whoever they want to?

I'm pretty sure he's joking.

Top Bottom