XF 1.0 I have been Hacked..???????? HELP

Okay, that begs two more questions:

It takes 6 hours to get the hosting company to respond to an issue like this?
The reseller had no 'file' backups himself?

Well it all depends on what the reseller is reselling, if they are managed accounts for which he has no shell/ftp/mysql access then there is not a lot he can do. Unless there is some form of backup option in cpanel/something else, sorry, I am not familiar with those types of systems as I host everything on my own servers.

Well it all depends on what the reseller is reselling, if they are managed accounts for which he has no shell/ftp/mysql access then there is not a lot he can do. Unless there is some form of backup option in cpanel/something else, sorry, I am not familiar with those types of systems as I host everything on my own servers.
Each individual on a cpanel account I know can set up their own backups and move them offsite rather easily. I know whenever I've had one I've made sure to keep my own backups as well as what the site provider has.

Okay, that begs two more questions:

It takes 6 hours to get the hosting company to respond to an issue like this?
The reseller had no 'file' backups himself?

Not sure I am understanding? I have backups of all my customers as a reseller, the hosting company usually do not allow for us to restore from backups. We can send them our backups and they will in turn upload them. But, that about it. And they normally have backups too..

Each individual on a cpanel account I know can set up their own backups and move them offsite rather easily. I know whenever I've had one I've made sure to keep my own backups as well as what the site provider has.

Thanks for the clarification. As I stated I do not use or need cpanel. My backup regime is as follows: I sync the website every 8 hours to an isolated box and rotate them so I keep 7 days worth, for SQL I do a live replication of every database I host and then do a backup on the slave every 8 hours and keep for 7 days as well. Think I could be a little too paranoid about dataloss!! The backups are stored on a NAS running ZFS.

Thanks for the clarification. As I stated I do not use or need cpanel. My backup regime is as follows: I sync the website every 8 hours to an isolated box and rotate them so I keep 7 days worth, for SQL I do a live replication of every database I host and then do a backup on the slave every 8 hours and keep for 7 days as well. Think I could be a little too paranoid about dataloss!! The backups are stored on a NAS running ZFS.
I'm probably more paranoid :P I have a backup MySQL server that hosts a copy of all of them live, I backup the sql databases daily, The files are rsynced hourly daily weekly and monthly and once a month I push a copy of everything both to my home machine and to amazon s3. So at any time I can backup at just about anytime and have a source of that backup on the server on my personal machine and a 3rd party machine. Gotta love it.

Not sure I am understanding? I have backups of all my customers as a reseller, the hosting company usually do not allow for us to restore from backups. We can send them our backups and they will in turn upload them. But, that about it. And they normally have backups too..

That is strange, that a hosting company will not allow their customers to restore backups. If I were you I would start looking for another host.

"reseller accounts dont get root"

^--- a 100% reason to NEVER EVER get hosting via reseller.

They're just another middle man, and their service can't be top notch because of that, they can't even restore a database when privacy data has been compromised.

People should really respect their site more and take their hosting into their own hands. Yeah, there's a 5 minute learning curve, no, you don't leave the responsibility of complete data loss in the hands of others.

People that sell hosting via reseller are selling air, if they're in that situation.

No control over the setup, no control over things when they go wrong, no root access to the server, and everything is actually the hosting of another company.

I completely understand that some people take reseller hosting because it seems like a good solution to quickly set up a range of sites for say friends/family. But to be honest, giving them their own shared hosting accounts via the company at least means the company is liable for the support and backups, and they do have root access, and no longer you - helping the family out - guy.

If you take your site serious; get your own root login, and take 5 minutes to set up an offsite backup solution - and register the domain not with the host but the domain registrar itself.

"but its cheaper" <--- and for good reason, as shown in this thread.

That's my opinion, and I know you won't like to hear me say it, and I apologize for that; Not trying to personally attack you, but having the arguments as "i dont have root", " i am not allowed to restore backups" .. is not an argument you should have, as a hosting provider.

Luckily for me its is only friends and family and a lesson well learned:( Unfortunately, I am limited to what the host allows me to do in cPanel. Looks like I may be moving up to a dedicated server/virtual private server.

Please note that not all Hosting packages come with full root access. We provide full root access to clients only on VPS Hosting, Semi Dedicated Servers and Dedicated Servers .

Just get a vps that has the traffic/hdquota you need. And set up webmin - no cpanel, etc. Just add their accounts visually really quick, setup the databases. Restore the data/files, and make sure all the passwords are unique and changed.

Leave this host behind and consider linode.com / leaseweb.com or any other respectable hosting company. (so not hostgator or bluehost).

Point me in the right directions :) I know you can do it on a Dedicated server or a VPS but, not a reseller using CPanel.. Could be wrong..

Any site admin can make file backups. You use Filezilla. You don't need any special 'root access' or level of service to do that, or even to restore.

Any site admin can make sql backups right from their Xenforo AdminCP, using this handy little addon from xenfans.com (plug to you Floris). You can even restore with it. I use it and it works great!!!

After your host gets your site fixed, make a file backup and an sql backup yourself, and you will never have to wait 8 hours for your host to do a restore again.

And don't forget to update your file backup whenever you change your files. I do a new sql backup about every three days.

Just get a vps that has the traffic/hdquota you need. And set up webmin - no cpanel, etc. Just add their accounts visually really quick, setup the databases. Restore the data/files, and make sure all the passwords are unique and changed.

Leave this host behind and consider linode.com / leaseweb.com or any other respectable hosting company. (so not hostgator or bluehost).

wow, just looking into both.. Now the hard part.. I haven't played with Linux commands since the 90's how hard is it to get it up and running? Linode.com sent me this and reading up on it now... http://library.linode.com/

Which flavour of linux is it? All my dedicated boxes have been linux. Just make sure you get a hosting company who has decent technical support (difficult to check before hand I know) and reasonably importantly, don't charge for security upgrades or patches to the servers. The worst ones I had were dedicated boxes with no support, you had to pay for them to do anything to the server. End result, the servers ended up getting hacked after nearly 2 years due to an exploit in Exim. Yes I guess I could have done the updates myself, but I never did for fear of screwing the server up and relying a bit too much on the fallacy that linux is bullet proof.

Hence I moved back to a managed server where they take care of updates & all the technical stuff that yes, i can probably do, but it would take me 10 times longer to do it! lol

Which flavour of linux is it? All my dedicated boxes have been linux. Just make sure you get a hosting company who has decent technical support (difficult to check before hand I know) and reasonably importantly, don't charge for security upgrades or patches to the servers. The worst ones I had were dedicated boxes with no support, you had to pay for them to do anything to the server. End result, the servers ended up getting hacked after nearly 2 years due to an exploit in Exim. Yes I guess I could have done the updates myself, but I never did for fear of screwing the server up and relying a bit too much on the fallacy that linux is bullet proof.

Hence I moved back to a managed server where they take care of updates & all the technical stuff that yes, i can probably do, but it would take me 10 times longer to do it! lol

That was my next question.. Managed VPS? Been lurking on webhostingtalk and these are there inputs.
EuroVPS
JaguarPC
Stablehost
Futurehosting
Knownhost
WiredTree

Have you heard of any of these?

Top Bottom