I gave away my vB license.

Edrondol

Not sold. Gave. Someone needed to be able to test some functionality of vB4.1.654984587 and I had this shiny login that I wasn't using. The last time I'd downloaded the information was 4.0.6 and have already changed my site to XF.

Since moving to vB I had nothing but trouble. I bought my license less than a month before they released 4 and when I was reading up on it all they kept repeating was that 4 was better and 3 wouldn't be supported for very long (this was not their exact words but instead a feeling that they conveyed heavily). So I also bought v4. In the space of 2 months I bought it twice with blogs for the same site.

Then came their CMS issues. Holy freaking moly. Folks, I'm not kidding when I say I'd have given up my board were it not for my Tech Admin, who basically re-wrote the front page to suit us and then did a total overhaul of the styles. It finally looked great. Of course, that was 4.0 gold release. Then came 4.0.1 which broke everything. Oh, and 4.0.2 that broke everything she had fixed in 4.0.1...Keep that up until 4.0.6 and you have an idea of what we (and probably some of you) went through. Upgrades took HOURS and we had to shut down during that time. Each upgrade brought in errors that needed to be hunted down one by one.

Then XF came out & we started taking a look at it. At the time vB was at 4.0.6 and we didn't bother going to 4.0.7. When Beta1 was released we installed it on the first day and tested. Beta 2 came out, our test site got a facelift and the upgrade was flawless. Continue that until she announced she was having to leave as the Tech Admin. That put me in a quandary. Stay with a stable vB site or make the switch live? Okay, not much of a quandary. We shut the board down for LESS THAN 1/2 HOUR and we were switched. The only thing that didn't work were the redirects, but that's because we had our directory structure set up all weird. I still have it weird but am going to wait for 6 months or so to fix it.

So there you have it. My site is now on XF and humming along nicely. We've had a few issues here and there with things like permissions (which still confound me on a regular basis even though I thought I had them down) and small things like that, but nothing show stopping.

So I gave away my vB license. Good riddance to ya.

Congratulations on moving things over without many problems. I can tell you that I am very happy about the progress of xenForo and am planning to eventually move all of my vBulletin sites.

I probably have 8 licenses and will be selling them off one by one soon enough :)

Wow this was almost exactly my experience, Only thing is im still sitting on my old vB licenses.. Im considering opening one last vB site.. lol ill install 4.0.0 gold and fill it with a bit of content push that content to the CMS and link it to vBtruth.. ;) haha..

lol This cracked me up.. It would be funny if it wasn't almost true.
Someone needed to be able to test some functionality of vB4.1.654984587

I'm going to be selling my licenses as soon as I can find some buyers. I've got xen setup on one new domain and love it. I hated upgrading VB, skinning it, and using it. It is a shame that IB is pursuing legal action against the xen team for moving forward with the forum concept. It seems as if the other side is content to fester in their mediocrity.

I have 2 vB4 licenses and 1 vB3 license.
Still have 2 active vB forums.
Going to be a bit longer until I can convert my vB forums over.
My vB4 needs a downloads addon and I think Jaxel's event addon should work plus a CMS.
Also need to integrate Photopost classifieds and photo gallery.

My v3 site needs downloads, Jaxel's wiki and a CMS.

I don't know if I will give my licenses away or sell them.
I would give them away if I knew someone wasn't going to flip around and resell them.
But I think with the new policy, once a license is sold, it can't be resold.

A friend of mine was looking to convert their site to the vB4 suite because they needed a CMS and forum.
Let's just say, that is one less possible customer for IB.
I suggested WP and XF.

I would give them away if I knew someone wasn't going to flip around and resell them.
But I think with the new policy, once a license is sold, it can't be resold.
Sell it for 1 cent, it can't be sold again and at least you know it will stay with whoever bought it. Also, "vBulletin license sold for 1 cent" does have a nice touch to it.

About the upgrade; been there, done that. Didn't dare to upgrade anymore, because everything would break all the time, and not all addons were getting properly fixed quickly. Besides, after almost every release at least 2 security patches were released to fix major security flaws which should never have been there in the first place. It gets a little scary to upgrade.. rather stick with a 'relatively stable' site.

You might as well give away the vB licenses, none of them have any long term value since the day Brisco changed the licensing terms and the EULA.

Soon vB 5 will be out and everyone will ........

(you finish the sentence)

Attachments

• 1501761723_l.webp
    1501761723_l.webp
    14.6 KB · Views: 18
As most licenses are only valid through vB5, the perceived lifespan of these are getting less and less. Which is why I never bothered to try and sell it. I found someone who had a use for it where I had none. It's not like it was doing me any good sitting there. So I PMed him my login/password to the customer area at vB and said, "Toodles!"

You might as well give away the vB licenses, none of them have any long term value since the day Brisco changed the licensing terms and the EULA.

Soon vB 5 will be out and everyone will ........

(you finish the sentence)
Pardon the crudity, but...

"Soon VB5 will be out and everyone will be pissing on their licenses."

There will always be a market for vBulletin. I still own a vB 4 license and wouldn't give it away for free, as there are still many people who would pay a decent sum for a secondhand license.

There will always be a market for vBulletin. I still own a vB 4 license and wouldn't give it away for free, as there are still many people who would pay a decent sum for a secondhand license.

Maybe for a short while... When the demand for a product decreases... people know. Most people I know are buying vB4 licenses really to use vB3 and get updates.

In the soon future, I think vB licenses will become what UBB licenses turned into.... Still good, but not in demand.

Top Bottom