XF 2.0 I don't think user promotions are working

Alternadiv

I am using a custom user field to ask users if they wish to have access to a specific forum. By ticking yes, in theory it should add them to the usergroup that can view that forum.

In the promotions system I am using the criteria for "answer is among" and "yes". I then tried to also tick user is logged in and user state is valid. But with my test account, it is not granting me access to the private forum.

Bad news first.
This is sadly one of the problems with XenForo. You would think it should work, but it doesn't, because you miss a key point.

By default user promotions don't work immediately. If you go to your ACP->Tools->Cron entries, then you see bunch of crons.
One of them is "User group promotions". As you see, it runs every hour on the minute of 20. Not immediately as you would think, every hour...

So if your criteria is set correctly, you would have to wait till the time reaches the minute 20 of any hour.

The good news however is, you can trigger the cron manually by clicking on the circle shaped 2 arrows button. That would trigger the promotion. Then you can check Logs->User change logs, if anything happened like a promotion (or search individiually the user in the ACP userslist and look at his usergroups).

There is also a much better good news for you.

Thanks to @Xon you can make this process immediately working.

See:
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/user-promotion-on-profile-update.5846/

This addon makes it happen that the promotions work immediately for profile update changes, such as for custom user fields.

Reactions: Xon
Bad news first.
This is sadly one of the problems with XenForo. You would think it should work, but it doesn't, because you miss a key point.

By default user promotions don't work immediately. If you go to your ACP->Tools->Cron entries, then you see bunch of crons.
One of them is "User group promotions". As you see, it runs every hour on the minute of 20. Not immediately as you would think, every hour...

So if your criteria is set correctly, you would have to wait till the time reaches the minute 20 of any hour.

The good news however is, you can trigger the cron manually by clicking on the circle shaped 2 arrows button. That would trigger the promotion. Then you can check Logs->User change logs, if anything happened like a promotion (or search individiually the user in the ACP userslist and look at his usergroups).

There is also a much better good news for you.

Thanks to @Xon you can make this process immediately working.

See:
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/user-promotion-on-profile-update.5846/

This addon makes it happen that the promotions work immediately for profile update changes, such as for custom user fields.
Great reply! Thank you.

Reactions: sbj
Top Bottom