Not a bug  I don't receive alerts from every topic i'm subscribed to

cedivad

I receive alerts when someone replyes to topics i'm subscribed to, but this don't always happens.
Topics where my subscription is older than x (x is yet to be quantified) don't show me any alerts.

As designed?

I assume you got alert for it earlier? If so, alerts won't be sent again for that thread until you've read the thread, or unread posts.

We need an example of where you expected to get an alert but didn't. (Unfortunately, the act of you viewing threads changes the state of the system, but what can you do.)

We need an example of where you expected to get an alert but didn't. (Unfortunately, the act of you viewing threads changes the state of the system, but what can you do.)
I think that the system should act as facebook:
Once an alert is shown, you suppose the topics to be readed. Than you will never have duplicate alerts nor miss one.

I think that this should be possible at least as an option.

Yes, i have the same problem. When i wath a topic, after few days i don't receive notifications from this topic (discussions normally updates).

You only receive alerts again after you read the thread. I assume that's what you're saying. If you're not, then that's not this bug; that is the designed behavior.

If you are, again I need to know the thread it happened it (and what post is the first unread one).

Yes, i have the same problem. When i wath a topic, after few days i don't receive notifications from this topic (discussions normally updates).
This is because even if you once don't read the topic after reading the alert (eg you are bored) you will no receive alerts anymore. As Mike stated above.
You only receive alerts again after you read the thread. I assume that's what you're saying. If you're not, then that's not this bug; that is the designed behavior.

If you are, again I need to know the thread it happened it (and what post is the first unread one).
I up what i wrote above: shouldn't it work as facebook?
(even if you don't read the thread you keep receiving notifications)

Like for example on this specific thread:
Woot! Pricing and Release info :D

I have posted into this thread and I am also "watching" this thread, but I did not receive an Alert about new posts in this thread.
Why ?

No, it shouldn't work like Facebook. (And FB doesn't work like you think either.)

I'm assuming this is not an issue; the "one alert until you read the thread" system is working correctly. If you believe there is an issue, please respond with the thread that you didn't get an alert for and when clicking the thread, the specific URL you're taken to (including the post ID).

how does the system work btw? does it store the data in cookies? or in the database?

i am assuming database. that probably means that for every registered member on the forum, the forum keeps a record of what threads the user has last visited and at what stage. and this data is updated everytime the user visited a thread he is watching. am i correct? :P

I think at something like this:

PHP:
onNewPost:

foreach (membersWhoPostedInTheThreadAndAreSubscribed AS member)
if (member[thread_last_read] > thread[last_post_dateline] AND ! alert_exist_for_this_thread_and_is_unread())
insert_alert();

The above should be, IMO, changed to:

PHP:
onNewPost:

foreach (membersWhoPostedInTheThreadAndAreSubscribed AS member)
if (member_has_readed_the_alerts_from_the_last_post_dateline())
insert_alert();

However why it shuldn't work as facebook? (if you have time to reply, else keep coding fast!!! :D)

Top Bottom