I don't like the look of my forum - advice?

steven s

http://www.bavforums.com/community/

There are things I like, but overall it just appears flat.
Since it will be brand new, no one will be missing any mods/hacks.
Certainly needs a logo.
I'd like to add latest threads once that gets sorted out.
Maybe latest status.
Eventually a portal page.

But I do need some direction on the style.
I look at other sites am I'm just amazed.
I'm not opposed to hiring someone, but I really would like to do this myself.
Editing the style has been such a joy compared to my other forums.

Any comments either way?
The style will be shared with my other forum once several mods/hacks are ported over.
http://forum.318ti.org/index.php (development)

I've moved this to the Off Topic forum Steven as it's not really suited to the Development forum :)

Development in that context relates to the XenForo code with regards to add-ons and modifications.

steven you definitely need a bit livelier logo, perhaps adding some of the colors from your forum.
I'd also like to see gradients on those category strips, and some "pop" added to the forum icons. Both do look flat, as you said.
I think those things will add a bit of flare for you.

Hi Steven, here are the points I do not like :

1. You used a total of 8 colors and that doesn't include the shades : Suggestion : Make a color scheme of 4 .. and stick to it
2 contrast between colors is too sharp. example : the red and the blue inside the circle creates the flat look you have noticed
3. tone the purple a little bit down

I'd rethink the color scheme. The blue category strips do not mesh well with the purple background. The red in the sign up button is a bit too much, IMO. The hover color of the tab navigation should match that of your theme, not the default XF theme. There's an orange border under each category strip from the default theme. I definitely agree with Peggy on the need for some gradients.

Right now, the biggest problem I see is the clashing of colors.

yeah I forgot to mention the purple. I don't particularly like it, it doesn't go with anything.
The background is purple? Looks black to me.

I will work on everyone's suggestion in between raking of my leaves. Thank you!
I do want to keep the theme of the 3 colors though. Those are BMW Motorsport colors.

yeah I forgot to mention the purple. I don't particularly like it, it doesn't go with anything.
The background is purple? Looks black to me.
lol :D

I will work on everyone's suggestion in between raking of my leaves. Thank you!
I do want to keep the theme of the 3 colors though. Those are BMW Motorsport colors.
That is fine as long as you use them well. I would definitely reconsider the color of the signup button. I recommend this site to help you with the color scheme: http://www.colorschemer.com/online.html

Dump the purple, definitely.

Does it have to be the motorsport (M series) colours? Couldn't you get more style/contrast with the black, white, blue and silver of the regular BMW logo - apologies if I'm missing the point.

Also gradients and drop shadow on the category strips would be cool.

How about a feint tyre tread mark across them too, to tie-in with the motoring theme?

What about some actual vehicle shots on the main background?

Good luck with it, and keep us posted with your style development.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Replace the white background with something off white or a more vibrant colour. You need to sort your logo and then base your colour scheme on that. Doesn't immediately become apparent it's a BMW forum.

Dump the purple, definitely.

Does it have to be the motorsport (M series) colours? Couldn't you get more style/contrast with the black, white, blue and silver of the regular BMW logo - apologies if I'm missing the point.

Also gradients and drop shadow on the category strips would be cool.

How about a feint tyre tread mark across them too, to tie-in with the motoring theme?

What about some actual vehicle shots on the main background?

Good luck with it, and keep us posted with your style development.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Pretty much what I would have said, I would dump the M colours and the Purple and go with something much more sophisticated... greys, silvers, charcoals, with a highlight of some other contrast colour, all awesome motoring colours.
the BWM logo is one of the most stylish in the world.. the M logo and colours has (imho) always been very out of place and tacky by comparison.

Get some colour and life into that header with some images of cars perhaps.

Add some interesting gradients to the cat bars and the overall background.

:)

Check out the official BMW sites and look at the colors/style they use for inspiration. I think you should stick to a simple, cool business look, but definitely make a header with some pictures if you want something that is interesting to look at.

And that purple is not the right color imo.

Reading through the posts, I kinda would like to stick with the blue, purple, red theme.
I do value everyone's opinion.

I'm going to take another approach after I sleep on it.
I do want to keep the 3 stripes in the category strip though.
Maybe a carbon fiber theme?
I personally like white text on a dark background, but I don't know if others will.

Top Bottom