I don't know how to start my forum

Galleo

I thought starting the forum would be as simple as starting the demo, but now I'm just confused.

I downloaded the forum and am hosting with Knownhost after failing to get anywhere with Dreamhost. The site said Xenforo hosting, so I assumed there'd be a straightforward way to get started, but there isn't.

Now what? I looked up instructions and tried using filezilla (which I can't open on a phone). Then I used andFTP, but don't know how to apply that to installing.

I just have no clue what to do outside of designing a badass forum. All I want is to have it running and post on it, but if I can't figure out all these technicalities, I need to find out how to get a refund.

Open a ticket with KnownHost for assistance. They’ll be able to help.

If you purchased a license too, be sure to register your forum ID to it so you can use the customer support nodes.

This is a presales question. If you have a valid license, just associate your user account under forum users here: https://xenforo.com/customers/

You need to do 2 things. Move the installation files over to your host to the right folder. And secondly create a database (by using phpmyadmin) and then edit the config file for the credentials.

As a tip, next time before you buy something, make sure you understand what you are doing. You can't just buy a car and then ask yourself how to drive it.

XF is not a hosted service, so in addition to the license you also need to separately purchase a domain (URL) and hosting, then configure the nameservers, etc.

However, as you have requested a refund, I have passed the ticket on to the correct department for processing.

So how can I trust someone from here to do it and not steal anything from me?
That question goes for anywhere in cases you give people private access to things you own. Although I don't know what could be stolen from just a forum.
In some cases you just have to put your trust in some people if you want to get help. Same goes for professional (paid) help.
And in most cases, you will be glad they helped you. But as Lee said, it's up to you to choose or not.

These are the steps:
  1. Purchase a domain
  2. Purchase hosting
  3. Configure the domain (nameservers, DNS, etc.) - your host will do that for you
  4. Create a MySQL database
  5. Create a MySQL user
  6. Configure the MySQL user to have full privileges on the database
  7. Upload the XF license files to the directory on the server (typically public_html if XF will be in the root)
  8. Navigate to domain.com/install
  9. Enter the MySQL details created in steps 4 and 5

Reactions: Lee
It looks like you have the domain and hosting set up and the XF files in place - the install script is ready to run.

I would however recommend getting your host to install a free SSL certificate first, and installing XF at HTTPS.
Certain functionality (push notifications, PWA) requires a secure (HTTPS) connection.

Top Bottom