Hurricane Irene

The joke that is NYC is that our mass transit system is out 28 hours and counting. In DC, which was in the vicinity of an actual hurricane, mass transit is up and running. One can only wonder as to the efficiency of our subway and surface transit system in the event there actually was a hurricane. (Long Island took the brunt of it.)

You can't compare the largest transit system in the world with those of DC. Parts of MTA still got flooding so I think they did the right thing by shutting it down. Monday commute will be rough.

I can go swimming in my back yard...and I don't have a pool.
Uh oh !
Like this ?
irene3-jpg.18160

Luckily, it just missed me. We had a bunch of rain and some wind gusts, but nothing too damaging. Unfortunately, nearby cities like DC and Alexandria have some damage. Lots of school closings today.

I live in New Jersey, but I'm in the UK for the next six months. My family is still in NJ, however, and ended up getting a nasty bit of flooding in the basement. Luckily, no permanent damage was done.

Still in the dark, 30 plus hours later... Not as bad as many, so I'll count our blessings. Had a moment of relief when an electric company truck stopped on our street about an hour ago. But they left shortly therafter. Thankfully, a friend just dropped off a small generator so we have some electricity flowing.

Still in the dark, 30 plus hours later... Not as bad as many, so I'll count our blessings. Had a moment of relief when an electric company truck stopped on our street about an hour ago. But they left shortly therafter. Thankfully, a friend just dropped off a small generator so we have some electricity flowing.
Hope you're getting power back quickly. I cannot believe how badly some areas in CT. took the storm - and it seems more about water than anything else. I though that Irene died upon hitting NYC, unless it was from the foreplay winds which were only about 30MPH and died here shortly after.

Ahhh!!! Electricity and Internet! I feel....connected. Came back online a few hours ago. Still plenty of folks without electricity (and some stranded up in VT). Hope those folks get back to normal soon.

Top Bottom