Lack of interest HTML Comments and xen:contentcheck

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

brstrm

Maybe there is something I am missing here, but from the perspective of a theme guy, it seems that HTML comments shouldn't be considered content by the xen:contentcheck tag.

I've noticed a few plugins will sometimes throw in HTML comments, and while this is nice, organized and dandy, it sometimes results in elements popping up that ideally shouldn't be hitting the front end (e.g. the user bar in UI.X).

Just something to chew on. Please, offer your perspective and tell me if I am wrong.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
xen:contentcheck should be used to surround the actual generated HTML, so it does a simplistic string test. Anything other than that would get into more complicated areas of coding that seem to be slightly unnecessary for the process of what is needed because you can never guarantee that it will have content. Proper use of it would be to not include constant HTML or with something that will be hidden.

Also, if you use <xen:comment> in templates instead of HTML comments, I think those would be ignored by <xen:contentcheck>

Also, if you use <xen:comment> in templates instead of HTML comments, I think those would be ignored by <xen:contentcheck>

You're correct. My concern was with certain add-ons that throw commented HTML into a template (via a hook or template modification) thus having the content check return true.

It's a specific case, and isn't worth the exception when making content checks as Jeremy noted. I'm probably just being a picky Peter :p.

Top Bottom