• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 1.2 Htaccess redirect from old forum url to XF

Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone can help.

I'm a little concerned that some of my less tech savvy users of my site will have bookmarked the old direct url to my old VB install so i'm wondering how i can address that with a redirect.

I have all the old vBSEO urls rewrote with help from here but I'm now concerned about the direct link to the forum so for example:

vb direct url was /forum/forum.php

my new xF install is in /community/

how would i redirect that? thanks so much as i think this will be the last thing i will need before going live with my XF install :)

Jake Bunce

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Put this in the .htaccess file in the /forum directory:

Code:
RewriteEngine On

RewriteRule ^forum\.php$ /community/ [R=301,L]

Hi, I have the newest XF installed and the new forum is great! There's just one problem...if I do a search of my old phpbb3 forum on google, the old forum index still comes up, whereas I would rather those links just redirect straight to my new forum.

The XF is in a community folder much like the person describes above, and I haven't removed my old forum from my server yet, I simply turned it off for now.

Do I need to remove that application entirely from my server, or do I redirect?

I am a new to all this so go easy on me. I did put the code described by Jake above into the .htaccess file but the old forum still comes up in the google search , and clicking on that link still takes you directly to the old index that's been turned off.

Solution? Thanks in advance!

Thanks Jake, sorry for my delay in getting back, here they are...

this is the url that comes up in the search: ... /forum/viewtopic.php?t=1&p=1

the old index was at: .../forum/

new one: ... /community/

Jake Bunce

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Amendment to previous rules:

Code:
RewriteEngine On

RewriteRule ^forum\.php$ /community/ [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^$ /community/ [R=301,L]