XF 1.4 .htaccess error document issues

Joe Link

I'm running LiteSpeed. In my Apache error_log I'm seeing this over and over, for each of my XF domains.

Code:
2015-01-26 10:08:41.184 [INFO] [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:56617-0#APVH_69.167.176.63:443_domain.com] File not found [/home/account/public_html/crossdomain.xml]
2015-01-26 10:08:41.184 [INFO] [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:56617-0#APVH_69.167.176.63:443_domain.com] File not found [/home/account/public_html/404.shtml]

I've gathered that this has to do with the default XF .htaccess file and the handling of error pages.

First, I'd like to configure this so it doesn't fill my error log.

Second, I'm curious to know if there's a way to configure the default XF error page to display something that might keep the user on the page, such as a list of current threads, and whether this would confuse the search engines. I know this would take a custom add-on.

upload_2015-1-26_7-17-29.webp

This particular file is one that XF never serves. It's a file that Flash uses for cross domain requests. It you want to create one, I believe you should be using the "least permissive" one (don't allow cross domain requests): http://www.adobe.com/devnet/adobe-m...ing.html#articlecontentAdobe_numberedheader_3

The second error is from your web server trying to serve a 404 using 404.shtml and the file not existing. In Apache, we disable this to use the internal errors, but LSWS doesn't respect these rules.

Specifically, things like:
Code:
ErrorDocument 401 default
ErrorDocument 403 default
ErrorDocument 404 default
ErrorDocument 500 default

Without the "default" value, a lot of configs will try to load 404.shtml which itself will 404 but be loaded by XF (which we don't want because it's a file we know XF won't serve, generally things that browsers request without explicit requests).

Specifically, things like:
Code:
ErrorDocument 401 default
ErrorDocument 403 default
ErrorDocument 404 default
ErrorDocument 500 default

Without the "default" value, a lot of configs will try to load 404.shtml which itself will 404 but be loaded by XF (which we don't want because it's a file we know XF won't serve, generally things that browsers request without explicit requests).

Thanks for the reply, Mike.

So if I'm running Litespeed, can I remove those from my .htaccess file?

As far as I understand it, they basically won't be used with Litespeed so there isn't really any harm in keeping them (and potential benefit if they do get supported in some way). But it's up to you.

Sorry, re-read everything and I mis-understood. I thought those entries in the .htaccess were the cause for the errors. Sounds like it's a LiteSpeed setting I need to change?

Top Bottom