XF 1.5 How to Sanitize Activity for Import, Keep Addons

TheLaw

I've been using a demo site and have a huge number of add-ons, customizations, etc. I want to purge the site of existing user data so that it's clean for an import from another forum. Is there a list of tables that need to be purged in order to clean the user activity but not touch the template, add-ons and data from other areas that don't relate to the users? Thank you in advance.

Unfortunately, this isn't really easy to do. There are huge number of tables involved and the involved tables may vary based on which add-ons you have. The only way we could recommend it is doing a fresh install. You can import your style, but you'll need to reinstall add-ons. Before you start the import, you should take a backup that you can restore to if you need to do further import attempts.

I would really advise you to just use a new install and port your customizations over. Your site is just too complex for a one on one. Just check your customized templates. XenForo allows you to easily spot what has been modified. So chart that and apply it to the fresh install. Or better yet: ask @Russ about adding all styling related template changes to your style.

@TheLaw Create your template modifications as an addon(s) (its very easy, take a look at this guide) and then export. Install the add-on installer and install all your add-ons at once , including the template add-on. If add-ons have dependencies, install the dependencies first and then install the rest in one shot.

Last edited:
@Mike - Thanks again for saving me a ton of grief by providing me with must know info. Great advice on the mysql backups - been there before, didn't do that, didn't forget it. :D

@Alfa1 - Thanks for the advice. Yes, it looks like this is the much better and safer way. This job is a beast and I've also separated a dozen multisites into separate standalone installs so that I can migrate each to a non-indexed/spider blocked directory and then flip the switch for each content library when fully tested and minimize the pain. I think that the import of the style should be straightforward (just export the template and import) but I've pinged @Russ for help just in case its necessary. For XF design and themes, there isn't better. ;)

@0ptima - Thanks for the awesome resource. I'm not quite sure if I'll need this as (i) I've got a custom designed template which should be exportable and importable. I may need to ask about what else I need to upload (nice catch @Alfa1 ) since I know that the template itself uses its own framework; and (ii) I'm going to do it the slow and steady way. I think Alf has it right. With the size of my forum, the number of add-ons and the data that would be in those add-ons, I'm probably asking for trouble in doing it all at one shot.

Also have to give a thanks to @Bob for providing me with a great deal of assistance. It's a huge undertaking to say the least and the total migration time of everything, including add-ons, will take several days.

Thanks for the awesome resource. I'm not quite sure if I'll need this as (i) I've got a custom designed template which should be exportable and importable. I may need to ask about what else I need to upload (nice catch @Alfa1 ) since I know that the template itself uses its own framework; and (ii) I'm going to do it the slow and steady way. I think Alf has it right. With the size of my forum, the number of add-ons and the data that would be in those add-ons, I'm probably asking for trouble in doing it all at one shot.

Sounds like all you need to do is install the addons.

Before your migration, ensure you have all your settings set in XF before performing the migration (especially settings that prune). I migrated from VB and found it easier to clean up my user groups in VB first before the migration.

Good luck!

Sounds like all you need to do is install the addons.
Before your migration, ensure you have all your settings set in XF before performing the migration (especially settings that prune). I migrated from VB and found it easier to clean up my user groups in VB first before the migration. Good luck!
Thanks!!!! Great advice. Part of the plan is (after massive prep and movement of other home page dependent scripts to stand alone) - I think I've got all the major steps.
  • Snapshot of entire site and separate mysql snapshot of forum database
  • shut down forum for use (view only)
  • prune useless users / 0 post posters greater than X weeks / spam groups
  • review tags and consider just dumping the mess they typically make
  • optimize all prefixes (remove any that may remain)
  • Review user signatures, profile fields, metadata and mass delete data that doesn't belong (with vb, that stuff can happen)
  • snapshot of mysql forum database
  • robot block spiders to home, forum home and newly created old forum directory
  • move the existing forum into the spider blocked old forum directory
    • pray
  • run the import
    • review. If (successful) then {backup database after a moment of Ed Grimley dancing} else {figure out what's wrong and do it again until it works}
  • import thank you as likes (love @Luke F plugin but may not be appropriate for a professional forum and prefer the Like totals to tally into overall user rep)
  • import additional thread metadata fields into other plugins I have created/modified
  • install add-ons

Top Bottom