XF 2.1 How to remove the Mark read button?

gogo

I don't need it as I think most users won't read every single threads in a forum. That means it's normal to always have unread threads.

It's very different than your email inbox which at times you may want to tidy up your inbox and mark all mails as read to make yourself looks so productive.:D

I even disabled What's New and New posts, etc in the navigation bar.

So how do I remove the Mark read button? Thanks.

I don't need it as I think most users won't read every single threads in a forum. That means it's normal to always have unread threads.
It's true that (almost) nobdy reads every thread and that it is not really needed (I personally also almost never use ist), but I know for sure that many users like to have a "clean" view of what is read.

I even disabled What's New and New posts, etc in the navigation bar.
Wow! It would be a nightmare and a major PITA for me to use such a forum :eek:

I'd stronly recommend not to remove those things, but in the end it's your community and users - do whatever works best :)

Wow! It would be a nightmare and a major PITA for me to use such a forum :eek:

I'd stronly recommend not to remove those things, but in the end it's your community and users - do whatever works best :)

Unless it's a really quiet forum that you can keep track of new posts with New posts or Latest activities pages, otherwise they're just showing you list of new threads page from assorted forums.

Such as this xenforo official forum, I never really used the New posts feature to try to check anything because I can also go to the forum I'm interested to check the list rather than viewing a page with threads from all forums...

The Search forum link in the Forum menu is rather abundant as I can always use the search icon on top right corner so I removed it.

Also the unanswered threads.. i think it's not useful for average users?

Or did I actually miss something that make them really useful?

Such as this xenforo official forum, I never really used the New posts feature to try to check anything because I can also go to the forum I'm interested to check the list rather than viewing a page with threads from all forums...
Different people, different workflows.

I always use What's New here to see ... what is new :). As I am interested in many topics (like Add-ons, Suggestions, Troubleshooting, Servcer Configuration, Bug Reports, Announcements, Support & Pre-Sales-Questions, Develpement Discussions, etc.) this is way more efficient than manually checking dozens of subforums.

Ths search forums link is a bit redundant, but again: Different people have different workflows.
If you want to search only threads with specific criteria using this link is faster (1 click) than clicking Seaarch / Advanced Search / Threads (3 clicks).

Depending on the activity, unanswered threads can be really useful, especially for the team to make sure no questions slip though being unanswered, which would be a bad user experience.
But it is also useful for normal users, as some just like to help out by answering such threads - in fact we did add such functionaltiy to a couple of our vBulletin forums (which did not have such a feature by default) upon user request.

Last edited:
Different people, different workflows.

I always use What's New here to see ... what is new :). As I am interested in many topics (like new Add-ons, Suggstions, Troubleshooting, Servcer Configuration, Bug Reports, Announcements, Support & Pre-Sales-Questions, Develpment Discussions, etc.) this is way more efficient than manually checking dozens of subforums.

Ths search forums link is a bit redundant, but again: Different people have different workflows.
If you want to search only threads with specific criteria using this link is faster( 1 click) than clicking Seaarch / Advanced Search / Threads (3 clicks).

Depending on the activity, unanswered threads can be really useful, especially for the team to make sure no questions slip though being unanswered, which would be a bad user experience.
But it is also useful for normal users, as some just like to help out by answering such threads - in fact we did add such functionaltiy to a couple of our vBulletin forums (which did not have suchafature by default) upon user request.
Thanks for your input. :D

Yes I was going to try to remove Mark As Read.
Then one of my users todl me they use it liek this.
They read the new threads they want to, and then Mark as read.
So that next time they only see any new ones.

So yes as Kirby says, its probably best not to remove too much.

Top Bottom