XF 1.3 How to Remove the 'Insert every' option from the image attachment options.

Emil JaBo

Hi guys,

I need to disable the 'Insert every' when you upload more than one image to a topic. This option is only going to confuse my members who will be migrating over from another established forum that is closing. The old forum (IPB) does not have this function and I need to remove it from the new forum to stop it getting confusing.

The problem is that if I upload an image and insert it into the topic and continue writing, then decide to insert another image it will then offer the 'Insert every' option, but if I then press that it will obviously double up the images already posted into the topic. Many of my users are not particularly computer literate and they are very comfortable using the existing image attachment options on the old forum so having this 'insert all' function will confuse the hell out of them and make mine and my mods life hell. It is imperative that I disable the function can anyone help explain how to? :)

I always believe educating your users is very important before blindly removing features that could be useful.

Once they are taught the difference between inserting a single image or inserting all images, it's a very easy concept to grasp; and one that actually could be useful to a lot of your members. I appreciate the technical ability of members often leaves something to be desired, though I would urge you to at least try before removing it.

Should that not prove successful, you just need to remove this code from the attachment_editor template:

Code:
        <div class="secondaryContent AttachmentInsertAllBlock JsOnly">
            <span></span>
            <div class="AttachmentText">
                <div class="label">{xen:phrase insert_every_image_as_a}...</div>
                <div class="controls">
                    <!--<input type="button" value="{xen:phrase delete_all}" class="button _smallButton AttachmentDeleteAll" />-->
                    <input type="button" value="{xen:phrase thumbnail}" class="button smallButton AttachmentInsertAll" name="thumb" />
                    <input type="button" value="{xen:phrase full_image}" class="button smallButton AttachmentInsertAll" name="image" />
                </div>
            </div>
        </div>

Admin CP > Appearance > Search Templates > Title: attachment_editor

When the content of the template appears, remove the above code from it and click Save All Changes.

Brogan, Chris D, I really appreciate your views and workaround for this feature. I'm not blindly removing features. I have been moderating the board for around 4 years now and I know what the members are like. They are stuck in there ways and have no interest in learning new things. They have enough trouble following how to post images as it is and I'm lucky if they even bother to read the posting guidelines at all. The problem is that many of them have far more important things to do than learn how to work a forum again. Many are older researchers who are only just grasping the digital age and how much it can benefit your research work. Trust me I'm all for change and I personally grasp every opportunity to try and learn new things in life and with technology but I know my members. Removing as much clutter and non essential functions from the image posting process is going to benefit the forum and the members. In reality they just want to come across from the older forum with no additional learning curve so it's really my duty to make the transition as easy for them as possible otherwise they will just walk away..... :)

With editing the template, will I have do this again if I upgrade the xenForo software in the future?

With editing the template, will I have do this again if I upgrade the xenForo software in the future?
No, however, if XenForo themselves ever change that template, it will become "outdated". That means your changes will stay, but the new changes in XenForo won't.

There is a built in template merge feature which is helpful in such circumstances. Worst case scenario is you revert the template to the XenForo default and then reapply your changes manually. So, keep this thread bookmarked as a reference in case you need to do it again in the future (but it's unlikely).

Top Bottom