1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 How to prevent spammers ?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by cyry, Nov 15, 2014.

1. cyry

cyry Active Member

I am running xf 1.3.3 and every day i have 3/4 threads like this :

How can i prevent it ? i have try security questions,recaptcha , different captchas addons
    and the spammers still posting . :(
  2. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Depends on what you have set up already.

Adjust the spam options in the ACP.
    Enable Akismet.
    Enable Captcha (I use Q & A).
    Moderate all newly registered members.
  3. oman

oman Well-Known Member

I'd definitely for a start recommend trying this captcha - https://xenforo.com/community/resources/customimgcaptcha-spam-combat.1161/

It works very effectively. Define your own images with it, and see what happens.
  4. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Upgrade to 1.4 if you think that they are automated based spammers. (Though I think you'll find that they're actually human-backed.)
  5. tommydamic68

tommydamic68 Well-Known Member

I was getting beat up recently with spammers, I changed my settings to this (1.4) and It has stopped. (knock on wood.) Also, I did not want to have to moderate new users or their posts/ threads, I think that is a turn off on forums IMO.

Screen Shot 2014-11-15 at 7.06.28 AM.png Screen Shot 2014-11-15 at 7.06.37 AM.png Screen Shot 2014-11-15 at 7.06.39 AM.png Screen Shot 2014-11-15 at 7.06.49 AM.png
  6. jauburn

jauburn Well-Known Member

What does 1.4 do to help with this that 1.3.x did not?
  7. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

8. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I have all the span setting active on XF 1.4 and so far not one spammer so as far as I can see this is the way to go. I have it set to manual approval if any are still flagged and then I just check out those. Most times I am finding it is a legitimate member being caught on their user name being flagged