How to pick a Style?

Deathstarr

I am looking to buy a theme a nice one but how do you pick when you have so many choices. I want a light theme with some dark elements in it or color I guess I should say. I am looking for a fixed width theme and one that looks nice. I want a theme that is not used by another forum thats in the same industry.

I like a few themes from RazorThemes but I am afraid of the development because I do not see the new owner posting much unless someone can point him out to me. I also like a few themes at XenFocus and pixelExit. So how do you pick a theme to buy and use?

I am looking to buy a theme a nice one but how do you pick when you have so many choices. I want a light theme with some dark elements in it or color I guess I should say. I am looking for a fixed width theme and one that looks nice. I want a theme that is not used by another forum thats in the same industry.

I like a few themes from RazorThemes but I am afraid of the development because I do not see the new owner posting much unless someone can point him out to me. I also like a few themes at XenFocus and pixelExit. So how do you pick a theme to buy and use?

First and foremost you have to understand what you are getting from most third party styles. Most of a style creators attention is going to be on the forum home and the postbit. As well as a color theme. Some will add great features like side by side nodes and navigation choices. These usually have a framework that works behind the scenes for all their styles.

What you are not going to get is a custom style. You have to pay for someone to go through and tweak every little nook and cranny and make it more unique or do it yourself. A person trying to earn a living selling styles isn't going to have the time to do all that. They may not sell enough of a particular style to pay for the time involved. This is why you should look for a style built upon a framework. These usually have more work done on them since the framework can be used in all their styles.

So find a framework based style that has the main features you like and a color scheme you are happy with. Then go to town on it customizing as you see fit. Or hire someone to do it.

My recommendations from what I have used or witnessed since being involved with XenForo would be the following. You can't really go wrong with any of these.
Pixelexit
Audentio Design
RazorThemes

Last edited:
Those are the three designers I am looking at but I am trying to figure out which theme to buy and use.

I do, but others may not. I think genre's come with a preset mood that should be adhered to as much as possible. Such as gaming sites work well with dark skins where a social site might not.

What do you see as more of a webmaster forum theme?

Those are the three designers I am looking at but I am trying to figure out which theme to buy and use.
Like I said, you have to decide what features you want and color schemes that satisfy you. Just go play with all their demos. And I mean play with them front to back.

These are the themes I am looking at

Core by PixelExit
Modest by PixelExit

UI.X by Aud
Drift by Aud

Swatch by RazorThemes
XenFracture light by RazorTheme
Mega by RazorTheme

All different styles and designs, I am trying to pick one to buy and use.

These are the themes I am looking at

Core by PixelExit
Modest by PixelExit

UI.X by Aud
Drift by Aud

Swatch by RazorThemes
XenFracture light by RazorTheme
Mega by RazorTheme

All different styles and designs, I am trying to pick one to buy and use.

The next part now you have shortlisted is test each style out (if demos are available) and see which ones you can work with. All being great styles you'll find you can further enhance them and put your own stamp to them when you give your own personal touch.

Make yourself a list of features you want. Do you want side by side nodes or traditional stacked nodes? etc... This narrows it down. Then think of the color scheme you want. Do any of the remaining styles on your list come close to what you want. Frankly, I think you will know what you want once you play with all the demos. These things can't be rushed. Be happy with it before you buy.

Well I have made a list but I am still having problems on which way to go. I have been trying to pick for alittle under 6 hours now so I guess I will just keep looking.

The way I usually pick a style.

I look at the demo first. I look at how customisable it is. I then turn to how reputable the designer is and you can judge really by the reviews. You'll find that a lot of these designers are featured within the top styles area of the resource manager. Reading the discussion threads, you can get an idea as to what level of support you will get.

I won't recommend particular styles as that is up to you, but I will definitely recommend some designers you should look for for quality styles.

@Forsaken @Russ @Arty @Audentio @Steve F and many more. :D

Well I have made a list but I am still having problems on which way to go. I have been trying to pick for alittle under 6 hours now so I guess I will just keep looking.
That is to be expected with that narrow list as they are all good choices.

Some of them have side by side nodes. Do you want that? If so remove the others from the list. If not then remove those. I don't envy you having to narrow down that list.

So how's it going with that style?

I actually came back to edit my post but I guess it timed out. As I don't know who the new owner is I can't recommend RazorThemes anymore since I have done no business with this new unknown owner.

Top Bottom