How to pick a Style?

What do you see as more of a webmaster forum theme?
Light. Lite. Most admin forums are situated on a light skin.

Choosing the right skin for your forum depends on your niche. For example, many gaming forums are dark themed, but it can also be light; however - for this light skin to work, it needs to blend in or be one of the best looking skin out there.

Last edited:
I think Sheldon put it nicely and definitely holds true. A common style used by a lot with heavily customization can be very unique and made to look and feel different. Don't be put off by a style used by many as it says something positive about the style and if your willing to put both time and effort into customising it, the rewards will = uniqueness and a great looking style.

While I have nothing against purchasing a skin and customizing it from there, I always preferred to just draw out my style (on a piece of paper or by using MSPaint) and have it custom built. It's always been fun for me to see a design I created from my head slowly turn into a reality on the web. It makes me feel like I had a very important say in how it was designed and what the final result looks like.

For example:
photo.webp

Untitled.webp

It's not to say that purchasing a theme is bad as it certainly is not. You'll get a well made, professional style theme that shouldn't have any issues for a great cost that you can then expand on and customize to your liking. For me, I've just always done it this way.

I didn't read through the entire thread so not sure if you found one to use yet or not, but if not, just pick the one you really like. Go with your heart!

While I have nothing against purchasing a skin and customizing it from there, I always preferred to just draw out my style (on a piece of paper or by using MSPaint) and have it custom built. It's always been fun for me to see a design I created from my head slowly turn into a reality on the web. It makes me feel like I had a very important say in how it was designed and what the final result looks like.

For example:
View attachment 63191

View attachment 63192

It's not to say that purchasing a theme is bad as it certainly is not. You'll get a well made, professional style theme that shouldn't have any issues for a great cost that you can then expand on and customize to your liking. For me, I've just always done it this way.

I didn't read through the entire thread so not sure if you found one to use yet or not, but if not, just pick the one you really like. Go with your heart!

Really like the look of this style.

I hear what your saying and totally agree in that there is nothing more satisfying than creating a style from scratch and watching it evolve into a final product you envisioned. I can see you've put a lot of thought, time and passion into this one. Excellent work indeed. :thumbsup:

Thank you so much @Shelley. It means a lot coming from you as I personally consider you the best graphic designer here on this site and I've always loved graphics.

Everything on my site was custom created, here's my main site starting with the concepts and then the final output.

For my site, I wanted to go with a less is more theme. I didn't want the standard site where users had to scroll around and read info, I wanted a small site that fully loaded in the single page that the user was already on without having to scroll anywhere at all.

Concept1.webp

The idea was that when you click the center menu button the menu will animate and expand outwards like so:

Concept2.webp

I can now say that it is complete.

Untitled1.webp

And expanded.

Untitled2.webp

For example:
View attachment 63191

View attachment 63192

You do realize that the person that makes your custom style is probably going to use one of there 0wn mass produced styles as a base right?

That is a nice looking style you have there though. :D

Top Bottom