1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to overwrite an NodeHandler

Discussion in 'XenForo Development Discussions' started by EsKuel, Sep 18, 2012.

1. EsKuel

EsKuel Member

Hello everyone !

I'm trying to do a little addon that need to extend XenForo_NodeHandler_Abstract which is not possible.
    I heard that we can overwrite an Handler but I didn't found any documentation or explanation about it.

Can somebody explain how to overwrite this or send me a piece of code ?

Thanks for your help :)

2. Jon W

Jon W Well-Known Member

The locations of the NodeHandler's are stored in the xf_content_type_field table (and in serialized form in the xf_content_type table). Since there is no load_class_node_handler code-event, your best bet is to run a query to change the node handler location in the database (and then run the rebuildContentTypeCache() method of XenForo_Model_ContentType:
    PHP:
    XenForo_Model::create('XenForo_Model_ContentType')->rebuildContentTypeCache();
    You can then extend the old NodeHandler from the new one.
    Unfortunately, this way of extending is quite selfish as only one add-on can really do this independently without messing up other add-ons with the same idea.

In your PM to me, you mentioned my Library add-on. This is a different case, because I have created my own node type (library) and then created a new entry in the xf_content_type table and a new NodeHandler in the xf_content_type_field table, in the same way as described above.
    In contrast to the above, this is very unselfish, providing that you choose a unique name for your content type.

Hope this helps.

3. Jon W

Jon W Well-Known Member

Sorry, am talking rubbish.

It's in the xf_node_type table.

Just spotted your post here:
    http://xenforo.com/community/thread...-get-data-needed-via-addon.32763/#post-413635

Might be easier to create your own load_class_node_handler code event by extending XenForo_Model_Node and replacing getNodeHandlersForNodeTypes() with:
    PHP:
    public function getNodeHandlersForNodeTypes(array $nodeTypeIds)
    {

$nodeTypes $this->getAllNodeTypes();

$output = array();
        foreach (
    $nodeTypeIds AS $nodeTypeId)
        {

$class = isset($nodeTypes[$nodeTypeId]) ? $nodeTypes[$nodeTypeId]['handler_class'] : '';

$output[$nodeTypeId] = XenForo_Application::resolveDynamicClass($class'node_handler');
        }
        return 
    $output;
    }
    Then you can extend all the NodeHandlers you like, perhaps using eval() to create the extender classes automatically?

4. EsKuel

EsKuel Member

Thanks for taking time to help me.
    I know that overwrite the NodeHandler is not a good solution but I don't find any other solution.

In fact I just want to add the display_style_group_id to the $forum.lastPost variable on the index board, so I extended the Forum Model and it's working well.
    But it's not working for forum in subcategory because the getExtraForumDataForNodes will search the display_style_group_id for every forums and it's in NodeHandler that XenForo keep the last display_style_group_id in _getForumLikePushableData.

Well, I think it's not really clear, I'll try to search another solution and if I don't find it, I'll overwrite NodeHandler :)

Thanks !