XF 2.1 How to not display a specific userbanner with banner stacking?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 91401
  • Start date Start date
D

Deleted member 91401

So with the way xenforo works, my board is application only. When you're accepted the add-on we uses changes your primary usergroup to "Trainee" giving them access to the majority of the forums.

However we then have another user promotion in place that when a "Trainee" hits say 10 posts, they get promoted to "Member" and this allows them to see even more of the forums than before they hit that post count.

The first issue we have is that for our niche type of forum having a member promoted from "trainee" to "member" happens via secondary usergroup, there's no option like there is in the application form add-on we use to change the primary usergroup. And I've read tons of times it'll never be changed cause its now how xenforo permissions work (but this isn't a topic of permissions). That's fine we've accepted and adapated to that.

The problem we are having though is we want have stackable user banners, so if someone buys say all 3 upgrade tiers, they display all three upgrade banners.

The problem is that with "stackable banners" ticked, this also shows the "trainee" banner under members who have been promoted to the "member" usergroup due to it being added as a secondary usergroup.

As far as I've found so far there's no way to actually stop this happening so I'm hoping someone here has answers?

This wouldn't be a problem if xenforo would just give an option to change a members primary usergroup based on a usergroup promotion instead of limiting it to only secondary.

Have you considered changing the usergroup setup to having a base group as the primary then the secondary groups are free to move in and out
Primary = registered (without any user banner)
Trainee = secondary (default secondary group)
Member = secondary (promotion secondary group)

Have you considered changing the usergroup setup to having a base group as the primary then the secondary groups are free to move in and out
Primary = registered (without any user banner)
Trainee = secondary (default secondary group)
Member = secondary (promotion secondary group)

This is how it works.

New user signs up - gets given the "candidate" rank (equivalent of the default registered members rank on xenforo just renamed)

Candiate permissions are set so they can ONLY see the "application" part of the forums.

Candidate submits application, community votes on poll, candidate is then either kept in their current usergroup if poll decides no to acceptance or their primary usergroup is changed to "Trainee" if the poll decides yes in acceptance. This is an application form add-on which gives the option to change the users primary usergroup.

Trainee's get more access to the forum, but can't access "everything" until they've made at least 10 posts in the sections they do have access too.

Xenforo user promotions (because as far as im aware theres no add-on that handles user promotions better) then keeps the Trainee's primary usergroup as Trainee and ads the "Member" group as a secondary which gives them complete access to the forum.

The problem is that the Trainee usergroup banner still shows because there's no way to put them as a "member" from the usergroup promotion as a primary usergroup without doing it manually which just isn't feasible.

So I'm looking for a way to keep all my settings the exact same as they are, because I have over 100 forum nodes/categories I'm not looking to start rearranging permissions and usergroups that all work fine except for one purpose which is that I don't want the "Trianee" usergroup banner to show on anyone who has "Member" or any other usergroup as as secondary usergroup.

Or I just need xenforo to build in support for users to selectively choose which usergroup they're in to actively display (been done on vbulletin for years so I can't understand how it'd be a new or big issue to implement) or just let us use user group promotions to change primary usergroups as well as secondary.

@Chris D any insight on how I could get this to work the way I want it too? Do I need a custom add-on building for this or do you have any ideas?

Top Bottom