MG 1.1 How to Move Albums or Media Into a Category

Jim McClain

I don't know why I haven't been able to find this information. Surely it exists? Searching Google gave me no joy. The Media Gallery Manual hasn't got any how-to in it.

I just converted a vB 3.8 forum to XF 1.5 and XFMG 1.1. I edited the placeholder category and added another and would like to add albums and photos to one of those categories. But how? I thought it would be obvious - a selection in the moderator drop-down, an option in my own album or photos. Nope, not there. Is there something I'm missing?

You can move media into categories either by using inline moderation:

upload_2017-5-26_23-40-49.webp

Or by using the "Move" button while viewing the media:

upload_2017-5-26_23-41-30.webp

Only media can exist within a category. Albums cannot be categorised. It was mostly done this way because it became apparent that most existing galleries wanted either categories OR albums. There were a subset who wanted both, separated like they are now. Turns out there is indeed an extra group of people who want albums IN categories, and it is a somewhat popular suggestion so it will be considered for a future release:

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/albums-within-categories.86879/

Turns out there is indeed an extra group of people who want albums IN categories, and it is a somewhat popular suggestion so it will be considered for a future release
I'm with that group as of now.

As far as moving media to a Category, it was a little disconcerting to see that the media, a whole album, could not be copied to a category. So, now all the photos I had in one of my albums is no longer on my media page. Is there a suggestion discussion to express that desire? I think visitors who find their way to a member's profile and click the media link would want to view that member's media. Other visitors may click the Media tab, then one of the categories to view photos of a specific... uh, category. My members would probably like that their photos could be viewed a variety of ways.

Now I have an album with no photos in it. :(

The media index shows media from albums the visitor has permission to see. The album index shows albums the visitor has permission to see. If you view a category, that shows the media in that category. So I think it already works how you want it to.

Top Bottom