MG 1.1 How to Move Albums or Media Into a Category

Jim McClain

I don't know why I haven't been able to find this information. Surely it exists? Searching Google gave me no joy. The Media Gallery Manual hasn't got any how-to in it.

I just converted a vB 3.8 forum to XF 1.5 and XFMG 1.1. I edited the placeholder category and added another and would like to add albums and photos to one of those categories. But how? I thought it would be obvious - a selection in the moderator drop-down, an option in my own album or photos. Nope, not there. Is there something I'm missing?

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
You can move media into categories either by using inline moderation:

upload_2017-5-26_23-40-49.png

Or by using the "Move" button while viewing the media:

upload_2017-5-26_23-41-30.png

Only media can exist within a category. Albums cannot be categorised. It was mostly done this way because it became apparent that most existing galleries wanted either categories OR albums. There were a subset who wanted both, separated like they are now. Turns out there is indeed an extra group of people who want albums IN categories, and it is a somewhat popular suggestion so it will be considered for a future release:

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/albums-within-categories.86879/

Jim McClain

Turns out there is indeed an extra group of people who want albums IN categories, and it is a somewhat popular suggestion so it will be considered for a future release
I'm with that group as of now.

As far as moving media to a Category, it was a little disconcerting to see that the media, a whole album, could not be copied to a category. So, now all the photos I had in one of my albums is no longer on my media page. Is there a suggestion discussion to express that desire? I think visitors who find their way to a member's profile and click the media link would want to view that member's media. Other visitors may click the Media tab, then one of the categories to view photos of a specific... uh, category. My members would probably like that their photos could be viewed a variety of ways.

Now I have an album with no photos in it. :(

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
The media index shows media from albums the visitor has permission to see. The album index shows albums the visitor has permission to see. If you view a category, that shows the media in that category. So I think it already works how you want it to.