How to merge threads

Ryan Kent

I made a post using a "tester" account instead of my main forum account. I want to change the poster from "tester" to "Ryan" but that option isn't presently available in XF. So I decided to do the next best thing. I copied the post from my Ryan account and made a new post.

I would have deleted the old thread but someone had already posted a reply and I didn't want to lose the reply. So I decided to merge the threads, then I would delete the original post. I tried several times and no matter how I did it, the original post remains as the thread starting post, so I cannot delete it.

How can I merge posts in such a manner as to choose which post will be the original post? No matter which thread I choose in the drop down box as the Destination Thread, the oldest thread is always the first post, and the other thread is merged into it.

Threads (and posts) are merged in date order, oldest first.

Try checking the checkbox for both posts in the thread view, choose merge posts.

One question. I have only merged posts once and that didn't work out so well. I wanted an outcome where the thread showed Post #1 by Poster1, and Post#2 by Poster2. Instead the thread showed only Post #1 by Poster1 with Poster2's content added to the end of the first post. I hope that makes sense.

Is it possible to take the 2nd post from a thread, and move that post in tact to another thread?

You can move a single post by first moving it to a new thread and then merging the two threads.

It's a 2 step process.

As I posted above though, merged threads/posts are done in date order, oldest first.

I understand.

The issue I have is it appears in XF there is no way to fix the issue where you want to change the original poster without going into the database. I knew you couldn't make the change directly, but I was hoping there was some form of workaround. No matter what solution is used, the date will take priority. I'll bring this up in the suggestions thread.

I modified the user_id and username fields in both xf_thread and xf_user_post for the two posts involved and all seems well. The only remaining item is when I look at the Members Profile Page > Postings area I still see the two posts listed under the incorrect original poster. It's fine, no big deal, but it seems when a post is made there is a third table which records data. Anyone know which table the Members > Posting area pulls this info from?

Top Bottom