XF 2.1 How to merge menu items into one but keep submenus

7ore

The main menu on our site have grown, so I tried to move them into one dropdown but that causes a couple of other problems.
The new menu becomes too long, as it also shows all submenues.
And these submenues is not shown when that item is viewed.
I suppose that is because the default menu item (Forum) is the selected item in this case.

So my problem is that I want the submenus, but not in the dropdown. Pretty much the oposite of what happens by default.

How can I move the main menu items to a separate dropdown and show the submenu items only when user is visiting that selection (and not in the dropdown)?
Can some of it be done by an expandable menu?

I'm assuming you're trying to do something like this?
If so, I'm trying to create something like this and if doable, will release an addon for it.
And these submenues is not shown when that item is viewed.
I suppose that is because the default menu item (Forum) is the selected item in this case.
When you click any tab which contains a dropdown menu, all those menu links will be moved when viewing the page into the horizontal sub-links row below the main navigation. Technically, the dropdown menu is still there, it's just hidden in favor of the horizontal row.
How can I move the main menu items to a separate dropdown and show the submenu items only when user is visiting that selection (and not in the dropdown)?
I don't follow what you mean in the first part of this question, but the submenu items do only show when visiting that section as you said. Could you clarify with a screenshot of your ideas?

Edit: I think you're referring to something like combining "Forums", "Members", "What's New" etc into one dropdown.. while also retaining their submenus when visited? That would probably be a bit tricky and haven't tried something like this yet.

I'm assuming you're trying to do something like this?
When I first saw that thread, I didn't think it was what I was looking for. But reading it again, yes, I think that is what I need.
To have four (or more) menu items where each of them have more than five submenus each - with submenus of their own, makes a bad user experience. To have them expandable would solve the big problem.

I don't follow what you mean in the first part of this question, but the submenu items do only show when visiting that section as you said. Could you clarify with a screenshot of your ideas?
My impression is that the submenu is only shown if the item is available directly from the main menu. At least when I moved them to a "More..." menu item in Public navigation. I moved "Media" to the "More..." menu:
1577028176640.webp

I expected that these submenu items was shown when "Media" was visited. But when I select that I get the items in the "Default (no selected tab)" list.
1577028512063.webp

And "More..." is not highlighted.

Edit: I think you're referring to something like combining "Forums", "Members", "What's New" etc into one dropdown.
Not those, but items like Media, Gallery and Resources, for instance. But that maybe the same issue...

If so, I'm trying to create something like this and if doable, will release an addon for it.
I am open to test what you have, when you feel ready for that.

I am open to help with testing and

Top Bottom