MG 1.1 How to maximize image quality?

sross

Hi, I run a photo site and the gallery is causing some strife.

1) any uploads over max size are being auto-resized to a smaller size, which drastically reduces quality. Is there a way to disable this and make it so if max size is exceeded the user is told their file is too big?

2) the mouse over thumbnail to display user info is erratic with many users unable to see anything. is there a way to disable that and have image info below the thumbnail?

3) lastly, retaining thumbnail aspect ratio is badly needed but I will probably have to have it modded

1) any uploads over max size are being auto-resized to a smaller size, which drastically reduces quality. Is there a way to disable this and make it so if max size is exceeded the user is told their file is too big?
No images are resized as this is generally considered to be more user friendly and saves users having to know how to resize their images. It works the same way with XF attachments; there are no plans to change this. However, there's no reason that this should reduce image quality; do you have an example of this?

2) the mouse over thumbnail to display user info is erratic with many users unable to see anything. is there a way to disable that and have image info below the thumbnail?
I've tested this on your site and it seems to be behaving normally to me. With some CSS it can be made to display permanently instead of on mouseover.

3) lastly, retaining thumbnail aspect ratio is badly needed but I will probably have to have it modded
This isn't currently planned but it is possible in the future. It's a big change so it would probably not be considered for XFMG 1.x.

Thanks for the info Chris. I will do some image tests. I guess some of these guys fine tune an image for a set size and a slight resizing could reduce sharpness.

On a side note, our recent vbull migration to xenforo was a huge job, and in 14yrs of running forums I've never had such incredible software as xF. I literally feared for my livelihood when I saw vbull 5.x. I watached xF for a while and when it looked to be 'there' I made the leap. Best decision I ever made. We're still tweaking some things but I am beyond happy with xF :)

Top Bottom