1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 How to Manipulate Usernames without Changing Usernames

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by Amaury, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Back when we were on vBulletin, one of our admins, who isn't a member here, was able to inspect the element and manipulate his username to test how a long username would look in areas like the controls in the header (Inbox, Settings, etc.)

I never did this myself, so I don't know what he did, but is this possible on XenForo? If so, how? I would like to use it to see what longer usernames would look like in the message user info box and member card.
  2. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The same way as you did on vBulletin. Inspect the element and modify the HTML. Chrome's inspector works perfectly for this.
  3. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

Firebug you can do the same as well. I have done it to test looks myself.
    Jeremy likes this.
  4. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

As I said, I never did it myself, it was one of our admins. :)

In any case, this area? I tried changing that, but it didn't do anything:

There's actually no longer a need for Firebug. Mozilla Firefox implemented it a long time ago -- I don't remember the exact version.
  5. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

I am used to, and like, and will continue to use Firebug. I know about the Inspect Element (Q). Just a creature of habit.
    Amaury likes this.
  6. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Found it. I had to double click those arrows pointing at each other and the username appeared.