XF 1.5 How to manage a board across multiple domains

indepth

Ok, so here's my issue:

I have an XF board setup on a domain specific to one city. We've now decided we're expanding our service to multiple cities. Each will have it's own domain (though we plan to create subdomains to make resource sharing easier), and needs to be branded separately. However, there are parts of the community that will overlap and thus need to be shared.

So, it is imperative that the user base (and statistics, messages, etc) for the XF boards for all three cities stays as one. We can't ask people to signup three different times, and we don't want to have to try to handle duplicate memberships and permissions.

Is it possible to create what is essentially a subdomain for a XF board?
Or to create different parts of the same board, accessed with a different theme?

I'm not trying to get around buying multiple licenses or anything like that. I will gladly do that if it helps provide a solution; this is a big project for us. But basically I need a single board, branded 3 different ways depending either on the url, or possibly what section of the board you are on.

What are my options?

I suggest you use web server redirection for the domain to an appropriate node category.

For example, city.com/* redirects to site.com/#city-category.22

You could include a specific theme selection as a parameter on the redirect url too.

I suggest you use web server redirection for the domain to an appropriate node category.

For example, city.com/* redirects to site.com/#city-category.22

You could include a specific theme selection as a parameter on the redirect url too.

I think this could work. Can you tell me a little bit more about how to include a specific theme? I'm pretty lost on that aspect if working within one domain.

Also, how would I be able to keep the other nodes from showing up on the main page? Or would I not be able to do that?

Can you tell me a little bit more about how to include a specific theme? I'm pretty lost on that aspect if working within one domain.
http://site.com/misc/style?style_id=3&redirect=http://site.com/#city-category.22
Also, how would I be able to keep the other nodes from showing up on the main page? Or would I not be able to do that?
Some styles have functionality for collapsable categories. If you use a style with this function, then all others could be collapsed, when referencing a category URL directly.

Top Bottom