• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 1.3 How to make thread starter/author posts stand out?

Alfa1

Many of my forums are support journals, where the thread starter/author posts their daily experience and other members offer support. The thread starter post are therefore the main content while the posts by other members are basically comments.

Is there a way to have different styling to the thread starter's posts to make these stand out more?

What I am thinking about it to add a background colour or border for the author's posts, while removing various postbit and styling elements from the posts by other members. Is this possible? How is this done?
I could not find any addons for this.
Suggestions and other ideas are very welcome.

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
You can use this conditional statement: <xen:if is="{$post.user_id} == {$thread.user_id}">

You would need to combine that with template edits and CSS to achieve the result you want.

Alfa1

You can use this conditional statement: <xen:if is="{$post.user_id} == {$thread.user_id}">

You would need to combine that with template edits and CSS to achieve the result you want.
What would that conditional be if I want to apply it only to specific nodes?

Alfa1

So I guess I should apply two custom classes (author_class and comment_class) to posts (with the above conditional) and add the css properties to extra.css?

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Yes, there are various ways of doing it but using classes, rather than inline styling, is the way to go.

It's all a bit manic at the moment but I can look at knocking something up for you later when I get a chance.