• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How to make Google not index particular containers

Luxus

I want to optimize my SEO by focusing on content. I want to make it that Google only indexes relevant info, which does not include help pages or particular widgets (that's good for SEO, isn't it?).

Lets say I have this div container:
HTML:
<div class="noIndex">This text should not be indexed by search engines</div>

Normally Google would crawl this container and index it. Is it possible to letting Goolge know that it is not allowed to index content inside this container?

Mopquill

Alternatively, you could exclude specific areas from being output based on the user-agent and/or IP, but, that might be a bit more involved, and might not be what you want.

Luxus

Hm...the <noindex> tag looks good. But since the wiki page has been edited last time in April 2012, I don't think Google supports the <noindex> tag yet.

I don't know how to do this user-agent/IP thing, but it sounds like more work than it's worth.

The background behind all this is that I was concerned about Google indexing to many irelevant content. I was a former Burning Board user and there you can soft-delete posts just like with XenForo except that the deletion notice was not only visible to moderators, but guests too. I copy&pasted the deletion note and searched for it via Google and then I got a lot of Burning Board sites with those notices. Since I want to make deletion notices visible for non-staff members, I got concerned about Google indexing those notices.

Hm..now that I think about it, I'm not entirely sure anymore if this would hurt my SEO or not. I mean people would find my site faster if more keywords lead to my site, no?