How to issue a gentle warning to people overusing the quote feature

JackieChun

What is the best way to warn members who insist on massively quoting everything and everyone in every thread?

I want to avoid sending them a PM from a moderator account in order to avoid needless replies of the "But I think quoting is better because..." variety.

Is there a way to send them a popup message that they have to read and agree to before dismissing? That would probably be ideal.

People don't read rules upon joining the site. That's why I want something that can be shoved in the face of the people who have been caught breaking the rule, like a pop-up. Overquote, get a pop-up. Overquote, get a pop-up. Eventually stop overquoting.

Outside of religion & politics this has probably caused the most arguments on our site in the past. Our worst offenders always claimed they did it on other forums & it wasn't a big deal. It's reassuring to see it's seen as a problem by other admins.

It's seriously annoying when people quote the preceding post in full, especially when it's clear which post they're responding to.

Hmm, well I guess we'll agree to disagree on that one. Mainly because it isn't clear which post they're responding to, rarely in fact (for me at least, although maybe I'm just strange). Anyway, each to their own.

Google considers quoted text being duplicate text, so overquoting has significant SEO implications. That alone is a sufficient enough reason to keep quoting on any given page to a minimum.

Liam - imagine the proceeding post you quoted was half a screen of text or included several full size images. If folk edit out the images or the bulk of the text to leave the specific part they are replying too it's not so bad but some folk are lazy.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, vidisse aliquip usu id, electram consulatu ex qui. His adolescens liberavisse in, discere ceteros dissentiunt has id. Et quem labores sit, veritus legendos tractatos ne mei. Eos ex eros aeque moderatius, in per tollit appellantur. Simul nusquam tibique vis in, solum lucilius pri an.

Et cum suas zril nonumes. Ponderum disputando te eum, ne tractatos scriptorem sit, et vix ipsum complectitur. Natum probatus ne vix, no dictas disputationi per. Nam quando facilisis et, in vel case vocibus. Te dolorum antiopam volutpat nec, ne assum legere legimus pro. Te numquam delicatissimi sea.

Duo recusabo tincidunt ne, vitae tantas suscipit usu ex, vocent partiendo cum et. Quo an sapientem constituto. Ei nam vidit graece. Congue ocurreret te vix.

Nibh reprehendunt nec in. Sea pertinax nominati patrioque ut. Iudicabit assueverit deterruisset duo et, eum in stet vidit modus. Nihil expetenda ad his, munere commune periculis eum eu. Utroque verterem definiebas ne nec, ne sea elitr praesent, et per erat zril. No eam choro quodsi definiebas, sea commodo impetus ne.

Labore volumus assueverit at pri, in duo nisl accommodare. Facete omittantur no ius. Veri ubique meliore eum cu, nec ne populo accusamus consetetur. Dicunt cetero nec at, blandit complectitur sit ea. Est idque lobortis in. Mei dicta definiebas id, movet primis vivendum cu sea.

test.webp

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, vidisse aliquip usu id, electram consulatu ex qui. His adolescens liberavisse in, discere ceteros dissentiunt has id. Et quem labores sit, veritus legendos tractatos ne mei. Eos ex eros aeque moderatius, in per tollit appellantur. Simul nusquam tibique vis in, solum lucilius pri an.

Et cum suas zril nonumes. Ponderum disputando te eum, ne tractatos scriptorem sit, et vix ipsum complectitur. Natum probatus ne vix, no dictas disputationi per. Nam quando facilisis et, in vel case vocibus. Te dolorum antiopam volutpat nec, ne assum legere legimus pro. Te numquam delicatissimi sea.

Duo recusabo tincidunt ne, vitae tantas suscipit usu ex, vocent partiendo cum et. Quo an sapientem constituto. Ei nam vidit graece. Congue ocurreret te vix.

Nibh reprehendunt nec in. Sea pertinax nominati patrioque ut. Iudicabit assueverit deterruisset duo et, eum in stet vidit modus. Nihil expetenda ad his, munere commune periculis eum eu. Utroque verterem definiebas ne nec, ne sea elitr praesent, et per erat zril. No eam choro quodsi definiebas, sea commodo impetus ne.

Labore volumus assueverit at pri, in duo nisl accommodare. Facete omittantur no ius. Veri ubique meliore eum cu, nec ne populo accusamus consetetur. Dicunt cetero nec at, blandit complectitur sit ea. Est idque lobortis in. Mei dicta definiebas id, movet primis vivendum cu sea.

View attachment 107700

nice pic! :mad:

The sites I manage have a quoting problem called "spaghetti quoting", and it is utterly evil.

What is spaghetti quoting? At its extreme, it is when some user slices a 2000 word post into single sentences and then writes individual reply to each sentence. And then repeats and repeats.

To be honest, I never realized this bugged anyone at all. I always quote the post I'm responding to unless I'm responding to the entire thread (such as this), even if the post I'm replying to is the most recent post. I also noticed that in debate style threads it can reduce the "was that directed towards me?" type posts that sometimes happen even when completely unintended.

I don't know, but I'm pretty confident what @rwm1962 did is way more annoying.

Top Bottom