XF 2.1 How to hard delete conversations?

orthopug

A couple of my members had mistakenly sent private information over conversations that they now want permanently deleted. Is this possible? If they delete the conversations, will it be permanently erased from the database?

if you or they have permission to hard delete conversations, then yes, hard deleting them will remove the info from the database. That's the difference between soft delete and hard delete, no matter where the content is.

Conversations cannot be deleted in the same way other content can.

They will be deleted from the database once all participants have left.

The member can edit their message to remove the content, if they have the relevant permission.

Automatically - once the last participant has left the conversation, it is deleted.
Interesting.. I thought once something was in the database, that was it.

Would that cause issues then in the event of a police/court requirement to produce convesations access, or with GDPR requirements?

I'm just thinking of a potential situation where someone could use a forum (conversations) to issue a creditable threat to others, and police end up involved.

I suppose in that case you'd probably have to restore the database (to another name), and fish the data out (from that time) using PHPMyAdmin.

Conversations cannot be deleted in the same way other content can.

They will be deleted from the database once all participants have left.

The member can edit their message to remove the content, if they have the relevant permission.
If both members delete the conversation, would it then be completely deleted from the database?

A couple of my members had mistakenly sent private information over conversations that they now want permanently deleted. Is this possible? If they delete the conversations, will it be permanently erased from the database?

I have an add-on that allows members to delete their own started conversations, if you give them the permission (it's also time based, defaulted to 5 mins, but you can change that). You can also, from the AdminCP with the add-on, delete selected conversations started by a user, if you do not want regular members to be able to delete their own started conversations. It can be found here: Conversation Tools.

Note this is a paid add-on and registration at my site is required. Also note, that add-on does a lot more than delete conversations, so be sure to read and understand it's features (in the overview, and for each update), to be sure if it is right for you and your site.

Stay safe,
Lawrence

Is there a way to delete old unused conversation after a period of time?
We are sure that many of the users may never leave their old conversations.
Also many old broadcast messages send to all members are still there in their inbox and its increasing the size of the database

his XF2 add-on along with the entire collection (approximately 300 addons) can be purchased for $35.00 USD. Your Premium upgrade will allow you to download as many XF2 add-ons as you like for one year. Please see the entire collection located in the Resources area at this URL:

https://www.xf2addons.com/

This is one of the most absurd things among many others on Xenforo. How did the developers think when they did not allow members to have the right to delete their PM? Can any developer give an explanation as to why not add a delete button for PM?

Leave, but is it the same as deleting? I have been a member on several different forums, both, vbulletin, phpbb but none of them have "leave". I do not know if vbulletin deletes from someone else's inbox, but that discussion belongs directly here. Until now, I have received several similar questions about how to delete a PM. Should I say every time: It is not possible to delete on xenforo, here on xenforo you leave the discussion because it is not PM but discussion.

If you really really REALLY must remove conversations, and know they are 100% gone, you would just delete the persons conversations under AdminCP > User Profile > Delete Conversations, and then double check under the database directly, and remove those entries.

Rename leave to delete and it performs exactly the same function as other software.

'Deleting' in other software only applies to you - it is still available to the other participants.

Exactly the same concept as email.
You deleting an email from your inbox has no impact on the sender or other recipients of the email.

Top Bottom