XF 1.5 How to eliminate the Captcha question from registration?

Bonsai Coder

I cannot seem to get rid of the Captcha question that used to be set up for my site.

In my "User Registration Options" I have selected "Use reCAPTCHA (no CAPTCHA)". If I go into tools and select "Question and Answer CAPTCHAs" I see "No questions have been created yet".

And yet, there is a CAPTCHA question on every registration request that I cannot seem to eliminate or change...

FireShot Screen Capture #002 - 'Sign up I Bonsai Nut' - www_bonsainut_com_login_login.webp

Any suggestions how to get rid of it?

Have you actually createded the questions and the answers that you would like to use?

A long time ago (year ago) I created that single question, and the allowed answers "f" or "F". Now I cannot seem to access the question, nor can I turn it "off". The admin control panel is suggesting that I don't HAVE any questions created, and even when I select the "no CAPTCHA" option in user registration, this CAPTCHA question keeps popping up.

A long time ago (year ago) I created that single question, and the allowed answers "f" or "F". Now I cannot seem to access the question, nor can I turn it "off". The admin control panel is suggesting that I don't HAVE any questions created, and even when I select the "no CAPTCHA" option in user registration, this CAPTCHA question keeps popping up.

If you go to User Registration option in your admin panel, what kind of captcha is checked? To use questions and answer, you must check the Use Question & Answer CAPTCHA box, and click the Define your questions link below it to set up the answers and questions.

If you have disabled Enable CAPTCHA for Guests and the captcha still shows up, it could be because of a third party add on. Check your add ons to see which one is adding it.

If you have disabled Enable CAPTCHA for Guests and the captcha still shows up, it could be because of a third party add on. Check your add ons to see which one is adding it.

I disable "Use CAPTCHA for guests" and BOTH CAPTCHA and reCAPTCHA go away.

Then I re-enable "Use CAPTCHA for guests" and chose the "Use reCAPTCHA (no CAPTCHA)" and BOTH reCAPTCHA and CAPTCHA show up. And just to repeat what I said above, when I go to tools and click "Question and Answer CAPTCHAs" my site says no questions have been created.

Hmmmm... my memory is starting to go. I don't remember when/how I changed the site to create this functionality but it appears to be a manual change that I did not track/record. It seems to exist separate from the my list of installed add-ons :(

If I enable CAPTCHA on my site, and enter a single question, it actually posts TWO CAPTCHA questions - the problem one I am trying to get rid of, as well as the new question I just entered.

So the problem CAPTCHA appears to be a manual code change.

Last edited:
Resolved this... It was a custom_user_field that I had set up. Deleting the field deleted the question from the registration process.

I try to take better notes in the development process, but I always seem to do something... and then 12 months later forgot exactly what I did :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom