How To Edit Thread Preview Hover?

DRE

I would like to either remove or alter the avatar for thread preview hover. What template/css can this be altered at?

test3.webp

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have a question along the same line and I don't want to create a duplicate thread.

We post a lot of pictures in our threads, which are hosted externally. When you hover over the thread title, the preview just contains bb code, ie IMG IMG IMG IMG IMG IMG IMG (in block quotes of course).

How do I stop this from happening?

Last edited:
The placeholders are there deliberately.
If a post just contains an image and no text the preview would be blank, which would look worse.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have a question along the same line and I don't want to create a duplicate thread.

We post a lot of pictures in our threads, which are hosted externally. When you hover over the thread title, the preview just contains bb code, ie IMG IMG IMG IMG IMG IMG IMG (in block quotes of course).

How do I stop this from happening?
There is an option to display the content of the bbcode instead of its tag inside this addon.

I did see that addon when I was looking for an answer prior to posting in this thread but it looked a little overkill for what I required. However in saying that, I will install it on our Beta forum and have a look. Thanks :)

@cclaerhout Okay so that addon is quite nice, it has lots of nice options and is well set out in the options etc. But because we host images externally, it doesn't quite have the effect I was looking for. It's otherwise very neat though.

@Jeremy Is it possible to edit the PreviewTooltip class to only be deactivated on certain sub forums? We have some threads heavy in pictures (like our photography thread), but also threads that are very wordy (ie General chat).
The thread preview option is really good for the wordy threads but not good for the (externally hosted) picture threads. Is there a happy medium or am I destined to one or the other?

Okay I surrounded the display with conditionals in the PreviewTooltip template, thanks to Brogan's awesome conditional help page and that's all working well. I have but one more question. It doesn't seem to work when you click the 'What's new?' link. I looked at the template code and saw it included <xen:include template="preview_tooltip" /> so I am not sure why it isn't working. My PreviewTooltip template looks like this:

<xen:if is="in_array({$forum.node_id}, array(8, 10, 142, 12, 66, 14, 137, 193, 200, 40, 160, 41, 161, 54, 207, 56, 208 ))" >

<xen:else / >

<div id="PreviewTooltip">
<span class="arrow"><span></span></span>

<div class="section">
<div class="primaryContent previewContent">
span class="PreviewContents">{xen: phrase loading}...</span>

(had to add a space between : and p in this post to stop the smiley)

</div>
</div>
</div>

</xen:if>

Is there a way to disable thread preview hover on certain forum categories, or even better, for defined prefixes?

On my forum, we have an entertainment section to discuss movies and TV shows, and we have a SPOILER prefix. The problem is that when someone hovers over any thread it shows a preview, which will reveal the spoiler - something I'd like to change.

So basically a way to ensure that certain threads that I can define or certain prefixes won't show previews when hovering on the link.

Is this possible?

To include thread title in thread preview:

Add this:
<div class="posterDate muted" style="border:0px;">{$thread.title}</div>
<div class="posterDate muted"></div>

Below:
<div class="text">

It's not really needed in thread list but it's nice in statistics on forum home where titles are trimmed etc...

Last edited:
Top Bottom