How to detect IPB?

karll

Is there a way to tell whether a website is running the IPB (Invision Power Board) forum software? I'm probably completely wrong, but I just get the sense from the look-and-feel that it might nevertheless be a customised version of IPB. And no, it doesn't say IPB in the footer. It says "Huddler Families", which I thought was supposed to be a different, independent forum software.

Any insights on this are much appreciated :)

Is there a way to tell whether a website is running the IPB (Invision Power Board) forum software? I'm probably completely wrong, but I just get the sense from the look-and-feel that it might nevertheless be a customised version of IPB. And no, it doesn't say IPB in the footer. It says "Huddler Families", which I thought was supposed to be a different, independent forum software.

Any insights on this are much appreciated :)

View the page source and see if any reference to the software is in it.

It's Huddler. And it's not a claim. It's a fact. Huddler is its own software.

You can tell IPB by looking toward the bottom and seeing if anywhere it says "The moderating team."

It's Huddler. And it's not a claim. It's a fact. Huddler is its own software.
Simply stating that something is a fact does little to help the conversation when what was asked for was evidence :)

You can tell IPB by looking toward the bottom and seeing if anywhere it says "The moderating team."
Yes, this is more the sort of thing I was asking for. Although for a customised version, surely it would not be hard to remove that? Anyway, as I said in post #4, upon closer inspection it doesn't look like IPB. So you guys are probably right.

Simply stating that something is a fact does little to help the conversation when what was asked for was evidence :)

Yes, this is more the sort of thing I was asking for. Although for a customised version, surely it would not be hard to remove that? Anyway, as I said in post #4, upon closer inspection it doesn't look like IPB. So you guys are probably right.

Are you denying the fact that Huddler is its own software? LOL. Alright.

I already knew that they claim this. I was looking for hard evidence, one way or the other. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
You were given hard evidence that it was Huddler. It sounds like you don't think Huddler is its own platform. I was given access to a demo board and I'm 1000000% sure that they are their own software. I mean, just look around the forum and the functions it has and you can tell it's more like vb than it is IPB.

Once someone said it was Huddler's platform and then pointed out the copyright to you, I would think that that was evidence enough. But I guess not :rolleyes:

Look in the source code of a page.

http://answers.oreilly.com/tag/Mac/ is actually IPB, just modified. But if you look in its source you'll see a lot of hints that it is one. Compare it to Huddler's and you'll notice the difference.

You were given hard evidence that it was Huddler.
Yes, in post #13 someone provided evidence of sorts, adding weight to my assumption it wasn't IPB anyway.

It sounds like you don't think Huddler is its own platform.
That was my suspicion until post #4.

I was given access to a demo board and I'm 1000000% sure that they are their own software. I mean, just look around the forum and the functions it has and you can tell it's more like vb than it is IPB.
There are some things that reminded me of IPB such as the pop-up you get to insert links in the post editor. But yeah, I hear you.

Once someone said it was Huddler's platform and then pointed out the copyright to you, I would think that that was evidence enough. But I guess not :rolleyes:
I would think the copyright notice is for the content of the board, not the software. And "powered by Huddler Families" doesn't prove the software called "Huddler Families" is not a fork of another software.

I'm sorry this thread has taken a wrong turn. I didn't mean to turn it into a big debate.

Yes, in post #13 someone provided evidence of sorts, adding weight to my assumption it wasn't IPB anyway.

That was my suspicion until post #4.

There are some things that reminded me of IPB such as the pop-up you get to insert links in the post editor. But yeah, I hear you.

I would think the copyright notice is for the content of the board, not the software. And "powered by Huddler Families" doesn't prove the software called "Huddler Families" is not a fork of another software.

I'm sorry this thread has taken a wrong turn. I didn't mean to turn it into a big debate.

You can't fork IPB, iirc it's not allowed... Also yes the copyright does mean it's powered by Huddler.

Also they probably use the same text editor which is open source...

Top Bottom