How to Convert views to membership?

0xym0r0n

I may be crazy and it's absolutely normal - but i get a lot of search engine traffic and traffic from facebook. Despite all this traffic I only get 30-60 sign-ins per day and 4-5 sign-ups a month (now). And my daily traffic is 300-600 per day. Good days bring in 1k plus. I know this is tiny cakes to some forums but this is probably the 3rd busiest forum I've started or helped start.

I checked my traffic to ensure it's not spam or irrelevant leads but I can't really pin down why I'm not converting anything.

I've tried opening content to the public eye (when not signed in). I've tried partial viewing, limited viewing, viewing only titles! Nothing seems to work except good ol' word of mouth!

I get maybe 2-3 sign-ups every few months from the googlers as I call them. I want to turn the search engine traffic into members!

Anyone have any suggestions? Do I need a big shiny banner that' says SIGN-UP TODAY?

Ask yourself this, why would they sign up? What kind of incentive are you offering.

When I google something and it links to a forum I typically don't sign up. I just get the info I was looking for and move on.

Ask yourself this, why would they sign up? What kind of incentive are you offering.

When I google something and it links to a forum I typically don't sign up. I just get the info I was looking for and move on.
True indeed it's for a game I can't figure any other reason for them to sign-up other than to participate in tournaments and incentive based contests.

I do advertise that. I get sign-ups from clans looking for members but a majority of my site is already a part of my clan.

So I need fresh willing blood to take interest in the clans. I tend to get my chiefs than indians if you know what I mean.

Does an increase in membership translate into an increase in revenue for you? Are you seeing a drop in players for your tournaments? If not then I wouldn't worry about a drop in new memberships.

Does an increase in membership translate into an increase in revenue for you? Are you seeing a drop in players for your tournaments? If not then I wouldn't worry about a drop in new memberships.
I don't run my site for money... if money is made it's made for the site. It's basically not for profit. What I earn goes right back into it. If i get a lot of money one month i use it as a prize or buy a forum goody. I haven't been able to do that as of late due to the decline in traffic.

Tournament interest varies depending on the dates/times/and type. It's remained fairly consistent.

I think your forum is just going through one of those periods. All of mine do.

If you want to work on it, start creating more threads with open ended questions. Get people to start commenting more. I bet you'll see an increase in registrations and participation.

I think your forum is just going through one of those periods. All of mine do.

If you want to work on it, start creating more threads with open ended questions. Get people to start commenting more. I bet you'll see an increase in registrations and participation.
Yeah I've been through them before this one just really sucks haha

If you are running tournaments, have you tried co operating with a ladder site to run the tournament? That would be a good way to advertise your site, while still offering goodies to your members. I don't know what platforms you have tournaments for, but there are some "smaller" tournament sites that will love to get the exposure from you, while you get exposure from them.

Top Bottom