XF 1.3 How to configure a load balancing system with Xenforo

Enguerran A

Hello everyone,

I'm facing a huge problem I won't be able to solve alone within the time I still have but I hope I'll be able to do so if this case occurs again.

My board is currently growing up slowly but we are organizing an event with some of the most famous Youtubers in Europe (at least in france) and we are expecting a lot's of connections in the same time.
I asked my web-host if the server will keep the charge and deal with it well but he told me that it won't and that it was impossible to solve it at the moment. He said that the solution was to split the charge on multiple servers but I don't know how to deal with this intel.

What is the best way to do something like that given the fact that I know nothing in either php (I know a little but not enough to do that) nor mysql ?

Its pretty simple, just ensure you have the correct IP forwarding in place, if your not already, look to switch to Nginx or LiteSpeed also, that will masisvely increase the capacity of your server.

So what you are saying is that I don't have to do any modification to Xenforo?

No, it's not needed.

The only plausible case would be a situation where you have additional DB servers that are slaved to a master for read-only purposes. I believe that kind of setup still requires an addon such as this one.

For traditional load balancing on the web server side, no modification on XenForo should be needed.

Sorry to bump an older thread - I'm looking to do the same thing. So, can I pretty much set up 2 web servers (configured identically), install XenForo on each, and each pointing to the same db server, and I'm good-to-go? Is there anything special needed? For example, can I configure an AWS ELB to switch between the two servers? Can I simply do round-robin DNS?

You need to do something to ensure that the files that are written (the internal_data and data directories) are synced between the web servers as necessary (such as something like NFS), but otherwise everything is in the DB by default so you should be fine if that's sorted.

You need to do something to ensure that the files that are written (the internal_data and data directories) are synced between the web servers as necessary (such as something like NFS), but otherwise everything is in the DB by default so you should be fine if that's sorted.
I just got my forum set up with that, and so far the testers aren't finding any problems! Thanks!!

Top Bottom