Lack of interest how to check Private Conversations for Spammers ?

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

erich37

I would be great if Admin would have access and being able to view "Private Conversations" in order to detect spammers who are sending spam to other users via "Private Conversation".

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
it is quite annoying having members from Nigeria on my website and seeing them being "engaged in Private Conversation" and not knowing and being able to check whether they send spam to regular normal members.

Such an add-on would be great, would be great if you could figure out the name of this add-on or where to find it.

Many thanks Brogan!

Edit:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/tlk-readpc.15460/

It is possible to not allow initiating PMs for the registered user group, then give the 'real' members that privilege after they post enough. Extremely time consuming, but effective.

yeah, but how do you know which members are spammers and which ones are honest, until you are able to read whether they send Spam via Private Conversations or not ?
Not knowing what kind of Spam is being send via your website is a huge risk in turning a website into a successful venture. If you have a couple spammers sending crap to other members, the honest and good members will disappear quickly...... so the Forum will get a bad PR and all your effort in starting a Forum (from scratch) is gone............

Additionally, there a certain legal rules in certain countries as to where a Forum-Admin is responsible of wht is happening on their websites and Forum-Admin needs to be able to delete messages which are not legal.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/internet/3290310/yahoo-hits-back-at-email-snooping-claims/

yeah, but how do you know which members are spammers and which ones are honest, until you are able to read whether they send Spam via Private Conversations or not ?
On my site no one can initiate a PM until they make their first post, possibly more than one post (depends). Harsh, and time consuming, but it works for us.

On my site no one can initiate a PM until they make their first post, possibly more than one post (depends). Harsh, and time consuming, but it works for us.

how to set this up in ACP ?
So you set permissions to "Send Private Conversations" to "No" for the "Registered Members".
Then you manually approve this for certain members - how to do this in ACP ? So you need to set-up a certain usergroup which is allowed to "send Private Conversations" and move those members into that usergroup?

I have no idea of how to create a new usergroup in ACP.

Many thanks!

how to set this up in ACP ?
1) So you set permissions to "Send Private Conversations" to "No" for the "Registered Members".
2) Then you manually approve this for certain members - how to do this in ACP ?
3) So you need to set-up a certain usergroup which is allowed to "send Private Conversations" and move those members into that usergroup?

I have no idea of how to create a new usergroup in ACP.

Many thanks!
1 - The proper way to do it would be 'Not Set (no)' so using an additional user group with 'Allow' set would enable them.
2 - I've been changing their base group, but adding an additional user group would work just as well... it was a carry over from when we were using vb.
3 - yes

Brogan answered your last question, great answer as usual.

Your idea is actually great, Dean. Would be cool to have some sort of option in ACP, saying: "allow users to send PC only after 10 or 20 or whatever number of Forum-posts made by that user" (aka "trusted member").
If we would have that option, this would also be a great feature to spur conversation in a Forum because many members want to be able to send Private Converstions.
I think that would make a great feature. Hopefully K+M are willing to implement such an option?

I was just wondering if a new usergroup which I am creating can inherit the default user-group-settings?
So literally creating a new usergroup with the default usergroup settings and at the new usergroup just changing the "Private Conversation" settings from "No" to "Yes".
Not sure how to move a user from one usergroup to another usergroup.

Great news Brogan on the user-group-promotion for 1.1 ! Am waiting for this then.

Thanks again guys!

Summer in which part of the world? :)
smoggyglasses.jpg
Albion :)

It would be great if we could set a limit for usergroups. For example that the user is only allowed to start 5 conversations per day.

Btw. i also really like to set a limit of max. saved conversations. So only my premium members are allowed to have a bloated inbox with > 5.000 conversations.

Top Bottom