XF 1.5 How to block a particular word as a tag on its own, but allow as part of a tag

Stuart Wright

I need to block people from using some words as tags but allow those words as part of other tags.
For example, people are adding 16gb, 32gb, 64gb tags, but these, on their own, are meaningless, so I want to block them.
However, as part of another tag eg. iPhone 6S 64gb I *do* want to allow them.
How?

It's the Scunthorpe problem ... it would be nice to have it work the same as the word censor so we have some flexibility in how the exclusions are applied. (y)

It's mentioned in the suggestions forum, and whilst the title implies a suggestion, it's not explicitly stated in the first post - so I haven't "liked" it as yet:
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/change-the-way-disallowed-words-in-tags-works.103978/

------

To clarify, for non UK members - there's a town in England called Scunthorpe. It contains the C-word, so if I filter the C-word it would look like this on the forum: S****horpe - (note that the censor will filter part of the word but allow the word to be shown.)

Because disallowed tags entirely block any tags that contain a disallowed word - if I add the C-word to disallowed tags my cycling forum members would not be able to tag their ride threads in Scunthorpe; so I have to allow it and risk people being able to tag with C-word!! :(

Last edited:
Your forum members should be following your rules. If offensive language isn't allowed, then whether they use it in a post or tag, it should be treated the same and they should receive disciplinary measures.

Your forum members should be following your rules. If offensive language isn't allowed, then whether they use it in a post or tag, it should be treated the same and they should receive disciplinary measures.
What's that got to do with any of this?

The word censor simply prevents certain words appearing in full in posts and tags. Disciplinary action is irrelevant, forum owners want to prevent words like this from appearing even for 1 second (and I'm sure they will discipline members anyway). The issue that is being pointed out here is that for certain words like Scunthorpe, the word censor in posts can be set to accommodate the use of this word. For tags, it doesn't - if the C- word is blocked, the word Scunthorpe cannot be used (which is a problem on a cycling forum with many UK members where rides can take place in and around this town). So @Clickfinity either blocks the C-word in tags and then ride threads cannot be tagged with the word Scunthorpe, or he doesn't block the C-word and risks someone for some reason using the C-word in a tag. Yes, he will discipline them and remove the tag but by then the C-word would have already been displayed.

Top Bottom