how to avoid members copying your css and images

Pretty much what Russ said. I get about 4-5 major copycats a year, none of them pan out.

The forum business isn't for the faint of heart, and the people taking shortcuts will be the first to fail at it.

Let them copy, just be better.

Pretty much, crappy people exist everywhere even more so on the internet where they feel safe screwing with people with no repercussion.

What can I say...it's a cowards world and don't waste your time playing their game.

hello XF members i wanted to know if this is possible , theres this guy copying everything i got on my site like my account upgrades sparkly colors my smilies and my forum ranks i was wondering if i could do something like when they try to copy css and they load inspect elemnt if it showed random symbols .
and when someone try's to copy your image address and when they put it on their site show my websites logo rather then the smilie

check out this Addon:

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/advanced-attachment-system-aas.5060/

It let's you put a "Watermark" on your images.

The more time you spend focusing on your site and worrying less about others copying you the better off you'll be.
russ bits its annoying this guy keeps on copying everything i got and now he has better community then me and thats why i closed my forum and got new theme new logo and i want to stop him copying my staff and yeah atleast make it harder for him

You could encode your source if you tried hard enough, you can use fancy JS to disable right clicking, etc.

All this information is downloaded by the browser and has to be to display your site (css/js/imgs/html) and unfortunately there's no foolproof way to stop this. Perhaps you should instead opt to show the members on the other community that he's leeching from you and hopefully convert them.

i achieved it but its only for guest members im trying to figure it out for members too but i disabled the right click so now they cant use copy or inspect element

Code:
<xen:if is="!{$visitor.user_id}">
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--

//Disable right mouse click Script
//By Maximus (maximus@nsimail.com) w/ mods by DynamicDrive
//For full source code, visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com

var message="Right click is disabled for guests!";

///////////////////////////////////
function clickIE4(){
if (event.button==2){
alert(message);
return false;
}
}

function clickNS4(e){
if (document.layers||document.getElementById&&!document.all){
if (e.which==2||e.which==3){
alert(message);
return false;
}
}
}

if (document.layers){
document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
document.onmousedown=clickNS4;
}
else if (document.all&&!document.getElementById){
document.onmousedown=clickIE4;
}

document.oncontextmenu=new Function("alert(message);return false")

// -->
</script>
</xen:if>

To change the error message that will appear to guests when right clicking at your forum, change this part:

Code:

to anythuing you want

Code:
var message="Your custom message here";

All you're doing is making your site harder for your members and guests to use. There is no way to stop someone from copy and tasting your ****.

Anyone who can claim to have sufficient knowledge of web design, easily has everything off your site in a few clicks.

Open your browser hit F12. End of story. As already stated the only thing you can do is make the site harder to use. If a member posts a photoshop request for example, making it so people cant save that image easily means people have to learn other ways to share. Its just a mess.

We had @TacTicToe steal our theme for his site TheKillingCrew.com A theme we have had since 2008 over 3 different platforms as easily seen by the internet archive. Nothing we could do about it. When we filed legal action they just moved to off short hosting.

i achieved it but its only for guest members im trying to figure it out for members too but i disabled the right click so now they cant use copy or inspect element

Code:
<xen:if is="!{$visitor.user_id}">
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--

//Disable right mouse click Script
//By Maximus (maximus@nsimail.com) w/ mods by DynamicDrive
//For full source code, visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com

///////////////////////////////////
function clickIE4(){
if (event.button==2){
alert(message);
return false;
}
}

function clickNS4(e){
if (document.layers||document.getElementById&&!document.all){
if (e.which==2||e.which==3){
alert(message);
return false;
}
}
}

if (document.layers){
document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
document.onmousedown=clickNS4;
}
else if (document.all&&!document.getElementById){
document.onmousedown=clickIE4;
}

document.oncontextmenu=new Function("alert(message);return false")

// -->
</script>
</xen:if>

To change the error message that will appear to guests when right clicking at your forum, change this part:

Code:

to anythuing you want

Code:
var message="Your custom message here";
anyone that right-clicks to open links, copy&paste, search google, use the dictionary or spellcheck, etc is going to hate you and hate using your site.

Last edited:
All I've got to do is visit your website and ctrl + s - chrome will save all your pages and images into handy little folders just like on your server. Voila! What's yours is mine (at least.. The client side stuff is).

Give up trying and focus your efforts on expanding your community through quality content.

Top Bottom