XF 2.2 How to allow guest users to allow "Like" feature

sajal

We are using XFv2.2.6.

Is there any permission from admin which enables "like" feature for guests users? If not, any plugin or something similar?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks @Brogan, in that case, I've allowed that permission to guest users, but still they can't see like buttons and all that, am I still missing anything.. wondering.
Guests cannot "react" using the Like button. That can only be done by logged in (therefore registered) users.
If you want guests to be able to react to posts, you would have to engage a 3rd party developer to create an add-on to allow that.

Interesting: on testing it, I can see that one can set the React to posts permission in the Unregistered / Unconfirmed usergroup to Yes, but XF treats it like that permission is always set to Never, regardless, so if one didn't know better, it does look like a bug. Hence I can understand how @sajal thought there was a bug here.

Would be interesting to see which other permissions aren't enableable for this usergroup. Queue lots of experimentation... :)

As the name of the user group states, those permissions are also used for unconfirmed registrations.

Certain features require a unique user ID, which guests don't have - reacting to content and voting on polls are two such features.

Reactions: FTL
so if one didn't know better, it does look like a bug
So really this should be explained in the manual, then people would know better. But yes, I understand how it could be frustrating if you don't know and so it could appear to be a bug, but it isn't. Maybe the bug is that the manual doesn't explain it.

So really this should be explained in the manual, then people would know better. But yes, I understand how it could be frustrating if you don't know and so it could appear to be a bug, but it isn't. Maybe the bug is that the manual doesn't explain it.
Indeed, I do find that manual rather terse and lacking in detail, unfortunately. I reckon having a more detailed one, with more examples, would help to cut down the number of support requests in the forum and in tickets.

As the name of the user group states, those permissions are also used for unconfirmed registrations.

Certain features require a unique user ID, which guests don't have - reacting to content and voting on polls are two such features.
@Brogan - does this include voting on responses to questions in a Questions Thread?
If it does, are there any add-ons you'd recommend?
If someone who has found a solution can they respond?

I'd like the ability to allow unregistered guest to up/downvote suggestions.

Thanks

The problem with allowing guests to vote, whether it's a reaction, poll, or question is there can be no record of what they have engaged in as there is no account to record their actions. This would mean one person could vote over and over, react over and over and thereby artificially inflate the responses; this is why guests cannot engage in this way. A registered and logged in user's actions are recorded, which is why they can only vote once, react once, etc.

It's possible to dump a cookie into a guest's browser to allow a once only action, but if they cleared their cache they could come back and do whatever all over again.

Thanks for the explanation @Davyc (off topic...beautiful forums/sites!). Have you or anyone else come across a solution where it allows both scenarios? i.e. Artificial inflation and/or introducing a cookie to limit the number of votes for a guest user.

Or even a monetization option where guests are allowed to vote 1/3/5times etc., and if they want more they pay for packages to vote.

Is there a way to allow for one of those scenarios?

If the only way is third party development or add-on can someone recommend someone? If a dev would like to volunteer, I'd like to be a customer.

Last edited:
If the only way is third party development or add-on can someone recommend someone? If a dev would like to volunteer, I'd like to be a customer.
Pretty much the only way is going to be to pursue a 3rd party developer... and you can post your request for such here

What you are wanting to do goes against the base level paradigm of XenForo.

Or even a monetization option where guests are allowed to vote 1/3/5times etc., and if they want more they pay for packages to vote.
Almost impossible - how do you want to identify a specific guest so you can apply a limit?

• By IP address
    Doesn't really work; a single IP addresses may be shared by many visitors and it is far too easy for a guest to get a different IP
  • By Cookie
    Can be blocked / deleted by the browser
  • Fingerprinting
    Browsers try hard to block this and may very well violate laws (-> GDPR)
  • "Educated guess" / Behavioural analysis (by AI)
    YMMV (and possible legal issues apply as well)
Indeed, I do find that manual rather terse and lacking in detail, unfortunately.
Who reads manuals anyway ;)

Nevertheless, it is confusing (if you don't know XenForo inside-out) that some permissions fpr Unregistered / Unconfirmed can only be applied to loggedin users.
I've filed a suggestion how this could be improved rather easily:

Last edited:
Hi Kirby,
Thanks for the response.
If I allow room for error/spam would it be possible then? I'm working on a mvp and I would like to see how it would perform live.

The use case is: Example Thread
Main use, Song Requests for a DJ
Guest/Unregistered Users Submit Song Requests (Suggestions) and/or vote on other songs rather than having to retype them.
I'm aware that voting will encourage them to register, but they're probably drunk or really busy.
The one thing I'd like them to do is help the DJ understand what kind of audience they are playing for.
Seems like a common issue with DJs. What does a blob of emotions want to hear?

Yes, there are malicious people who will remove cookies to hack and challenge the system... I'm ok with that.
I'm even ok if they spam one song, if they want to sit there and tap the voteup/down button 1000 times...ok.

Update on what I've found:

I'm checking with the developer to see if the guest can vote.

Top Bottom