1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much do you spend on your Forum?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by Nudaii, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Nudaii

Nudaii Well-Known Member

I run a (ATM) Private forum for a small niche (christian fiction writers), while I will be allowing registration in near future (due to co admin really wanting to invite people), It won't use adsense, subscriptions or donations, as for my personal sites i don't use them.

Between licenses, custom add-ons, premium add-ons and the like, currently the site is coming close to $1200 spent in 6 months (preparing for public launch soon).

How much do you spend on your "Hobby" forums?

Am i as eccentric as i feel?:D
    Anthony Parsons likes this.
  2. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Imagine spending $1,101 on the domain that you want, alone. I got a package deal for that much, but the domain I wanted was more than worth it to me. After that, I spent around $500 on licenses and skins across all sites.
  3. Sheratan

Sheratan Well-Known Member

My forum has been running for 2 years. (2011-2013) yet my spend is only... below $200 :D
  4. The Forum Heroes

The Forum Heroes Well-Known Member

I too just spent a big chunk on both .com and .net for domains for my EQ Next project I'll be starting. They are currently on hold in Godaddy as it takes 5 days from auction purchase to process them to your account. Been 4 days now, so I should receive them either on Friday or Monday.
  5. MikeMpls

MikeMpls Well-Known Member

Domain $10 (don't rush, think about it long enough and eventually you come up with a suitable available domain name)
    XenForo $120
    Sometimes a skin: $30 (I don't care if a few other sites out there look like mine, odds that anyone will stumble into both -- other than XF's default theme -- are about zero)
    Hosting: $54 monthly for close to 30 sites, lots of excess capacity
    Occasional license renewals when I feel that I HAVE to upgrade (e.g. everything will be moved to XF 1.2.x).

I don't use paid add-ons. That said, there are a couple that I would pay for if I had to (XenTag, BB Code manager). I prefer to run my sites with as few add-ons as possible. Having been involved in software development for 40+ years, I've realized there is a lot of long-term value in running minimally modified, off-the-shelf software.

I try to be cheap. :D
    Mrs.T likes this.
  6. iTuN3r

iTuN3r Well-Known Member

Well aside from other hosting /addon related cost i do organize BBQ/fishfry events and other get togethers which sometimes runs good billing.
  7. Stallyon

Stallyon Active Member

Running various hobby forums with different software (some free, some proprietary) over the past 13 years, I have spent literally tens of thousands of dollars on hosting, domains and renewals, SSL certificates, forum software, custom skins, logo design, etc. We are all a little eccentric I think (y)
  8. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Enough to start finding a new hobby.
    JordanH and JVCode like this.
  9. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Enough that I could be making monthly payments on a new Hayabusa and lots of toys for it each month. :p
  10. Nudaii

Nudaii Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies all!

Now i dont feel so odd :p
  11. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

Initial domain name and software (vB) a few hundred bucks. The yearly fees, custom add-ons, additional software, another €300/year. Hosting started cheap but obviously increased over the years as traffic went up, now at €4500 / year. A new server probably every 5-6 years that's another €5000 or €6000. Recently bought a better domain for €20000.

But this is an 11 year old big board so...

Personally I would recommend against spending a lot of money at the start since you don't know if it will even succeed. The less money you put at risk the better.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  12. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

Almost $100 USD for my domains:

$100 USD for my server / every month
  13. 0xym0r0n

0xym0r0n Well-Known Member

I try to set a budget $150 month between my sites :) Usually my main focus is the one getting 60% or more of my budget :p
    Mrs.T likes this.
  14. petertdavis

petertdavis Well-Known Member

My forums are literally "hobby forums" and I spend easily $10,000 a year to just keep them up and running. I also spend many times that amount buying forums.
  15. OSS 117

OSS 117 Well-Known Member

Not forums per-se, but I spend around $100 a month. After I got set up with BSA, there's still money to be had among other forms of site income. Forums are more costly to run than regular sites.