1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many people develop XF now?

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by SeaDog, Mar 13, 2013.

1. SeaDog

SeaDog Active Member

As someone who is wondering about swapping their large forum to the xF platform, I was curious to know how many people (post lawsuit) are actually responsible for the coding and development? Obviously I know about Mike and can see he's very active, but is it mainly him and Kier chips in from time to time? Or are there are other paid coders who names are less 'famous'? I just want to get an idea of how big the operation is and whether the development is based on the work of just 1/2 coders or is the 'risk' more spread?
  2. principia

principia Well-Known Member

are more better?
    i dont think so. (see VB5)
    Shyuan likes this.
  3. SeaDog

SeaDog Active Member

I didn't want to open a debate really, it was just a straight question :)

But to answer your question, there is a risk (no-one wants to really think about it, but sometimes unfortunate things can happen - Mike might trap his hand in the door or something!) of having the future of a script in the hands of just 1 or 2 people.
    Shyuan likes this.
  4. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

You're totally right, I'd feel safer if I had this amount of staff:

because we know what that many people are capable of.
  5. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Kier and I are both full-time devs and obviously there are other people involved in other ways (Ashley, Slavik, Jake, Lawrence, Brogan...).
    mcatze, Brandon Sheley, Lucas and 8 others like this.
  6. SeaDog

SeaDog Active Member

Cheers Mike - keep your hands clear of that door and whatever you do - don't blame me if I jinxed you - break a leg! (not literally, argh!)

I'm not sure why people have to bring IB/VB in to things - or is it an unwritten rule here that all threads have to mention that company at some point! ;)
    HWS likes this.
  7. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

Kier+Mike+Ashley = 3

3(xenforo) : 30(vb) :D
  8. Shyuan

Shyuan Well-Known Member

Perhaps there'll be no innovation if xF is only competing with itself. And I think we are all proud of xF because xF is now a threat for vB. :)
  9. dtommy79

dtommy79 Member

The number shouldn't be the problem. It's how they and the work are organized.
  10. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

Now that the lawsuit is consigned to history - the future looks very bright for Xenforo.

One would hope that as the software, ownership, sales and renewals all grow - so too will the Xenforo company. (y)

IIRC Invision were just a two or three-man band at the start? ;)
    Shelley likes this.
  11. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

Mike with 2 broken hands could still code better than all of <insert alternative/competing product here> dev's all put together :)(y)
    erich37 and Lucas like this.
  12. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

there is still a hugely important question which has been left unanswered to the community:

who is faster with coding?
    Mike with 2 broken hands or Kier coding with his feet ? :barefoot:

Sim likes this.
  13. oldzy

oldzy Active Member

He has cute feet.
  14. Lycaon

Lycaon Well-Known Member

There's a photo floating around here somewhere of very dirty feet, they're not so cute then :)
  15. oldzy

oldzy Active Member

Nothing a little bath and some sweet scented oils and massage won't fix.
  16. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

March 14th. Tom Birdsey ;)