Add-on How many people are "watching" a thread (also include usernames/avatars).

Deepmartini

I think a good mod would be " X people are watching this thread." or "username, username, username and X others are watching this thread." This could be up near the watch area link at top. Help create more of a community feel. Sort of how the "like" system works.

I have that on Circle Watch on a per forum watch basis.
I'm not sure if I'd want it per thread.
There's Node Watcher - a simple Watch forum mod; and Circle Watch.

A member joins a forum either assigned by me, or opts in. Such a forum (joinable) is a Circle.
They then appear on the memberlist for that forum Circle, under its threads; with Start Conversation links and some memberlist data.
The Circle page is the forum's page, with threads, memberlist, moderator, links list and themed colour design inherited from parent category. All very much about group ID.
A member can select from a list of joinable nodes (can be forums or categories) on a Profile tab.
Or a Join button onh the forum/ category page.

I think thread ID is a bit too detailed and fussy but maybe it looks different on big boards.

I think a good mod would be " X people are watching this thread." or "username, username, username and X others are watching this thread." This could be up near the watch area link at top. Help create more of a community feel. Sort of how the "like" system works.

I've thought of mentioning this suggestion many times.
Many times it would be helpful .... you know who will get an Alert if you post in the thread.
There are however, many times, where whomever is watching a thread should be private.

I'm not sure how many people would want a "Watchers" list ... but ... it could still be useful.
One byproduct of a Watchers list .... is it could cut down the number of watchers.
or maybe you can also silently watch threads !! :)

I've thought of mentioning this suggestion many times.
Many times it would be helpful .... you know who will get an Alert if you post in the thread.
There are however, many times, where whomever is watching a thread should be private.

I'm not sure how many people would want a "Watchers" list ... but ... it could still be useful.
One byproduct of a Watchers list .... is it could cut down the number of watchers.
or maybe you can also silently watch threads !! :)

There would be an option in the user control panel to hide this and be invisible. Or the admin can make it mandatory and not give users the option. I think it would be great because it shows how popular a thread is. You can "like" a post but you can't "like" a thread. This would also be good to show on the home page, "Most Watched Threads". Maybe some developer will want to take up the challenge?

Certainly watching a forum is a much bigger commitment than just liking a first post .... The number of watchers would be a more robust measure of people that are really interested in the thread.

There would be an option in the user control panel to hide this and be invisible.

IPB calls this "Follow this topic Anonymously".

I didn't like that IPB wouldn't allow me to choose between Alerts or Email.
I'll see how that works out.

display.thread.watchers.anonymously.watch.thread.webp
I think sorted Threads based on followers would likely be better than sorting threads based on first post likes.
Better = "More accurate representation of the level of interest in a topic".

Top Bottom